do you feel like it kills your energy

or maybe because of age you are nothing getting it

or even something else

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Not at all. There are so many successful influencers out there like Gary Vaynerchuck, Sean Cannel etc that are much older.
Age shouldn't determine your success. I'm not particularly old (25) but still older than a lot of new youtubers out there & that doesn't bother me.

The only factors that influence your channel are quality, consistency, your niche, analytics/watch time, & engagement with the audience.
You can't reach everyone. If you try reach & cater for everyone you usually end up reaching no one & that doesn't have anything to do with age :)

P.S I tried clicking on your channel link/button & it says your channel doesn't exist

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Absolutely. Because the majority of people who watch YouTube are young, people who are significantly older have less in common with the majority of the potential audience. This is especially true if you're talking about political or controversial topics. We also have less time to spend producing videos and engaging on social media. Most of us have real jobs.

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Absolutely. Because the majority of people who watch YouTube are young, people who are significantly older have less in common with the majority of the potential audience. This is especially true if you're talking about political or controversial topics. We also have less time to spend producing videos and engaging on social media. Most of us have real jobs.
A lot of youtubers still have "real jobs". I find the term "real jobs" a tad offensive since it sounds like if someone doesn't work a typical 9-5 job, it's not considered a job at all & people look down on them. There are so many jobs out there in the world, especially for all the creatives like musicians, photographers, videographers, models, actors, influencers etc. Are they not real jobs to you? Do they not make money & work hard for their money like any other job? If anything they work harder since majority of them are working for themselves & not under someone elses dream/company. If someone is doing what they love & getting paid for it, it's still a real job.

I have seen a few successful established channels from older people who don't put much editing into their video & they're just using their webcam to film. These people also have "real jobs" & don't engage on social media much. Their content does all the work. Their personality & the great informative, educational content their are putting out there is getting people to view & subscribe.

My family watch youtube just as much & they are older, my nan always watches after coming home from work to wind down, my grandad who's retired watches youtube rather than normal tv since he can search up whatever he wants to watch. There are a lot of political & controversial topics on youtube, there's something for everyone on youtube to enjoy. A friend of mine who is a retired air force militant watches all his history, political, government content on youtube. You'd be surprised at the amount of older people who watch youtube but they don't comment or engage but they still enjoy lots of different content. Just because you're old doesn't mean you cant enjoy & watch prank videos does it? Or any funny video or gaming video or whatever the person takes interest in. & for posting content, I would honestly love to see an elderly couple do funny vlogs or prank video's on youtube. Or even something simple like talking about their life lessons & experiences especially if they were involved in a big event. I'm a young person, but I enjoy history just as much as I love my beauty & fashion. So you see, age is really just a number that goes up every year. Age doesn't determine success. Technically no one should say whether someone else is successful or not since it's that person themselves who can determine whether their own life has been successful or not.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yes. Younger people have more free time. Correction: young people have free time. That means on one end there’s a larger number of potential viewers depending on if you want to break down as 18-34 or 13-17 and 18-24 and 25-34 or whatever. While there may be exceptions I don’t see many people who are 18 wanting to watch someone on YouTube who is 50.

On the other end younger people can devote more of their time (because they have free time) to making videos and each one will increase your chance of success.

When you have to work, pay bills , take care of kids and do all the things that go along with that, there’s veryite time left for anything else.

Oh to be born in the year 2000! I could have spent 16 hours working on a video today. It may or may not have been a success but I could have made it. But what was I doing instead? Here’s a list.

Joey Mesa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it depends on what the content your videos are about and the age category that's most interested. Someone over 50 may have a difficult time having a successful gaming channel, but lots of older folks have tutorial channels focusing on subjects they are very experienced in. I know of quite a few older youtubers that have huge followings of all ages.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of youtubers still have "real jobs". I find the term "real jobs" a tad offensive since it sounds like if someone doesn't work a typical 9-5 job, it's not considered a job at all & people look down on them. There are so many jobs out there in the world, especially for all the creatives like musicians, photographers, videographers, models, actors, influencers etc. Are they not real jobs to you? Do they not make money & work hard for their money like any other job? If anything they work harder since majority of them are working for themselves & not under someone elses dream/company. If someone is doing what they love & getting paid for it, it's still a real job.

I have seen a few successful established channels from older people who don't put much editing into their video & they're just using their webcam to film. These people also have "real jobs" & don't engage on social media much. Their content does all the work. Their personality & the great informative, educational content their are putting out there is getting people to view & subscribe.

My family watch youtube just as much & they are older, my nan always watches after coming home from work to wind down, my grandad who's retired watches youtube rather than normal tv since he can search up whatever he wants to watch. There are a lot of political & controversial topics on youtube, there's something for everyone on youtube to enjoy. A friend of mine who is a retired air force militant watches all his history, political, government content on youtube. You'd be surprised at the amount of older people who watch youtube but they don't comment or engage but they still enjoy lots of different content. Just because you're old doesn't mean you cant enjoy & watch prank videos does it? Or any funny video or gaming video or whatever the person takes interest in. & for posting content, I would honestly love to see an elderly couple do funny vlogs or prank video's on youtube. Or even something simple like talking about their life lessons & experiences especially if they were involved in a big event. I'm a young person, but I enjoy history just as much as I love my beauty & fashion. So you see, age is really just a number that goes up every year. Age doesn't determine success. Technically no one should say whether someone else is successful or not since it's that person themselves who can determine whether their own life has been successful or not.
I do lot of free lance stuff like editing videos for people or do advertise for brands because I have pretty big following my Twitter and when I tell people that they look at me like get a real job and I’m like well this considers a real job. Of course I’m looking into other career paths as well but i find it insulting when people say that.

Reactions: markkaz

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Hmmm. I don't think it effects much as far as the actual content making and you being on camera. To me, that's not as important as personality and content. But, like others have mentioned, when you are older you tend to have more to worry about. Adults have the issue of balancing work, family, paying bills etc, with youtube. If you want to make youtube a career it's harder when juggling time. Not to say that some teenagers do not also have a lot of responsibilities and after school jobs as well but most teenagers generally have more free time than adults.

Reactions: markkaz

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I think it depends on what the content your videos are about and the age category that's most interested. Someone over 50 may have a difficult time having a successful gaming channel, but lots of older folks have tutorial channels focusing on subjects they are very experienced in. I know of quite a few older youtubers that have huge followings of all ages.
I totally agree.

A previous comment mentioned Gary Vaynerchuk as an example. It is a lot easier to listen to him and accept his advice because of his experience and success in business. Experience comes with age...there is no shortcut.

I am a 52 year old male. If I were to try a prank channel or a beauty channel it would be highly unlikely to succeed. Instead, I cover a subject I know a fair amount about and I like to think that my aged appearance and authenticity make it easier for the viewer to accept me as a credible source of information.

Sure...if I was a busty young blond showing some cleavage I would probably have ten times as many viewers now, but that's not the kind of viewers I am aiming to reach so I would not consider that to be "success". Likewise, if I was a handsome young guy in my early twenties shooting around in a jet ski and diving into the sea at every opportunity I would probably attract more viewers...but once again not the kind of viewers that I want to reach. Also, I would be identified as a "youtuber" primarily and a wannabe yacht broker secondly. As it stands I am known as a yacht broker who has a very cool youtube channel. That is the kind of success I am looking for.

Do I feel that my age "kills my energy"?
Absolutely not - I have as much energy now as I did when I was 18!