Do you copy your favorites?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I don't watch anything on YouTube because I don't want to subconsciously borrow things from others. As well as to be more focused on my own things. So if I'm copying, I don't even know that I am, if I am

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I can't deny watching the content of people I like subconsciously influenced also my content, but I don't think I ever consciously copied.

worldofsonji

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with all the above comments haha. I'm definitely inspired by my favorite YouTubers but I don't 'try' and copy them, I am definitely influenced by them though. It's impossible not to be. If you watch a certain handful of YouTubers and like what they're doing it's only natural that some of their style rubs off on you. Just like how in real life you tend to become more like people you hang out with a lot!

Shweebe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I will be incredibly truthful when I say there are certain styles or approaches they do that I try to incorporate into my own. But obviously put my own spin on it. I think a lot of youtubers do it at times 'cause they tend to look up to those who've been creating content that they enjoy. =)

Reactions: Dave2017

Roman Ryder

I've Got It
Reaction score
I try to avoid reading or watching anything similar before recording. I want to make sure I'm using my own original thoughts, although I'm sure a lot of my thoughts have been shaped by others over the years.

I heard a guy say to think of yourself as a DJ not a songwriter. I really liked that concept. If hears something he likes, he'll jump on camera and talk about it and put his own spin on it to make it his own. He said eventually you'll start creating your own "music".

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No I try come up with my own original ideas. I do have favorite YouTube, but I won't copy them

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I try very hard to, especially since I know some of the big 'Tubers have huge and rabid fanbases that I'm worried they would flame the s**t out of me if I dared try to imitate someone I like or borrow a catchphrase. If I find myself sounding too similar to someone else, I re-take the scene.