Do what you want on YouTube!

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently, people have been telling me to switch from gaming to something else because gaming is too popular to become big. Being big isn't what YouTube is about, it is about having fun! Therefore, don't let anyone bring you down by saying things like that. Don't let numbers bring you down either! they aren't that important! What matters, and all that matters, is that you are having fun doing what YOU want to do! And if you're not good at it, you'll get better! This is what keep me motivated! Upload when you want, what you want, how you want. Don't worry about what other people say! It doesn't matter if something is too popular on YouTube. If you truly love it, you'll get something out of it! I hope this motivated you!

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I do my videos to practice on my English and editing skills. But the content is just for s***s and giggles.
Pretty sure that nobody wants to watch that though...

eidojodie

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I completely agree, It's about what you find fun! What's the point in making videos if you don't enjoy it? Yes gaming videos are popular to make...but that means they're also popular to watch! I don't make gaming videos myself but I do regularly watch them because gaming is a big hobby of mine. I think people can tell the difference between youtubers who genuinely enjoy making videos and those who just do it in hope of making money and don't really care! I love making videos and I think it's helped me in real life as well with feeling more confident.

Reactions: Lizzeelive

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I completely agree, It's about what you find fun! What's the point in making videos if you don't enjoy it? Yes gaming videos are popular to make...but that means they're also popular to watch! I don't make gaming videos myself but I do regularly watch them because gaming is a big hobby of mine. I think people can tell the difference between youtubers who genuinely enjoy making videos and those who just do it in hope of making money and don't really care! I love making videos and I think it's helped me in real life as well with feeling more confident.
Me too! And I am tired of people putting other people down because everyone should be able to experience The wonderfulness (is that a word) of YouTube! It is such a fun hobby and I always recommend it to people! I always tell people to start a YouTube channel if they want because of how much it helps me with being more social and confident and overall happy. I am genuinely happy now! and it is all because of this silly little hobby!

Reactions: eidojodie

OfficialXeno

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Such a motivational thread. Hope your voice gets heard! What you have said has helped me change my mind as to what I create. Preach to you!

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Such a motivational thread. Hope your voice gets heard! What you have said has helped me change my mind as to what I create. Preach to you!
I am glad it was motivational! I felt like getting it off of my chest!

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It really depends what your goal is. If you just want to be a Youtuber for fun, then yes I completely agree. But if you want to have a good chance of growing your channel, perhaps you want extra income or you want to grow your brand, then it's not enough just to do what you find fun. My advice if you want a good chance to grow is to follow these 3 guidelines
1. You're passionate about the subject
2. You're knowledgeable about the subject
3. It's in demand

I absolutely love to juggle and I'm good at it. In fact my first channel on Youtube 10 years ago was on Juggling. But I don't see it as high in demand. I'm also passionate about learning languages. I speak a little of 10 different ones. And you could even say there's a good market for languages, but I'm not an expert enough on the topic, and there's a lot of people much better that I don't honestly think I can catch up to them. I'm also an expert in computer programming as I've been programming since I was 6, and there's a demand for this, but I'm no longer passionate about it. 5 years of university taught me how much I don't want a future in this field.

So what I recommend is to find something ideal in the middle. You love it enough that you'll do it for free. You're an expert enough that people will respect you. And lastly, there's actually lots of people who want to want to see that type of content.

Last edited:

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently, people have been telling me to switch from gaming to something else because gaming is too popular to become big. Being big isn't what YouTube is about, it is about having fun! Therefore, don't let anyone bring you down by saying things like that. Don't let numbers bring you down either! they aren't that important! What matters, and all that matters, is that you are having fun doing what YOU want to do! And if you're not good at it, you'll get better! This is what keep me motivated! Upload when you want, what you want, how you want. Don't worry about what other people say! It doesn't matter if something is too popular on YouTube. If you truly love it, you'll get something out of it! I hope this motivated you!
Well said :) wishing the best of luck for your channel! I agree, thanks for the motivation <3

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I completely agree that you need to be passionate about whatever your channel is about. Just keep making videos you enjoy. I would have already given up if I didn't like creating the videos that I make. Consistently trying to improve my content is probably my main motivation at the moment.
It really depends what your goal is. If you just want to be a Youtuber for fun, then yes I completely agree. But if you want to have a good chance of growing your channel, perhaps you want extra income or you want to grow your brand, then it's not enough just to do what you find fun. My advice if you want a good chance to grow is to follow these 3 guidelines
1. You're passionate about the subject
2. You're knowledgeable about the subject
3. It's in demand

I absolutely love to juggle and I'm good at it. In fact my first channel on Youtube 10 years ago was on Juggling. But I don't see it as high in demand. I'm also passionate about learning languages. I speak a little of 10 different ones. And you could even say there's a good market for languages, but I'm not an expert enough on the topic, and there's a lot of people much better that I don't honestly think I can catch up to them. I'm also an expert in computer programming as I've been programming since I was 6, and there's a demand for this, but I'm no longer passionate about it. 5 years of university taught me how much I don't want a future in this field.

So what I recommend is to find something ideal in the middle. You love it enough that you'll do it for free. You're an expert enough that people will respect you. And lastly, there's actually lots of people who want to want to see that type of content.
This is probably one of the best comments I've seen on this forum yet.

nutwad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I totally agree with you. What's the point of starting a channel if you hate what you do?