Do the Super-Wealthy watch YouTube?

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I've had a few comments left on my youtube channel recently from people who believe I am wasting my time, because people who are wealthy enough to buy a yacht do not "waste their time" watching youtube videos.

It's a point of view that some (although not many) of my colleagues share.

I've had plenty of evidence to prove this to be completely untrue, but yesterday I had one of the greatest examples yet. I am attending the Cannes Yacht Show this week, where I have two yachts on display. The representatives of a very wealthy Greek individual came to see me and tell me that their client would like to view one of the yachts, he would be flying in by private jet that afternoon to view it. They went to great lengths to tell me how wealthy he is, and that he could actually afford something far larger but he really liked the model that I have on display.

When the client arrived I went to meet them and take them to a boat that would then take them to the yacht. The client was an elderly gentleman and as I approached him he said "I know you". I replied that I didn't believe we had ever met before, and he laughed and said..."no, I watch all of your videos"!

As you can imagine, this was hugely satisfying to hear. The company I work for sponsor most of the videos I produce, so for them it is essential to know that they are being watched by potential clients.

YouTube really is an incredible platform, it's not just kids watching pewdiepie, or beauty videos, or news commentaries. I sincerely believe that any business that is not making full use of it is missing out on the greatest market opportunity in history.

Stephanharz

Reaction score
I have been lurker on here but wanted to speak up in this. Rich va poor people are the same. Just because you are rich does not mean you dont like watching videos of hobbies or about things you like. I feel that everyone from rich to poor use YouTube. All you have to do is look at all the high end car videos. Alot of those guys have BANK and they not only watch, but make videos them self. I feel that compared to TV, YouTube has a better reach since people can find people/channels that alone with thier views, hobbies an likes. Once they find a channel they like for what ever the reason...they watch and will often rewatch videos. I have some people who actively watch every video even if its does not follow the subject matter that is of most intereste to them. Anyway I think I will stop there..not everyone likes to read big paragraphs or many run on sentences lol

.KC.

Reaction score
Of course. Why wouldn't they? Just think about yourself. If you woke up tomorrow with a billion dollars would you immediately stop watching YT just because you've got a ton of money? Obviously not.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
No. Rich people are too busy making more money. The only reason we do any entrainment is because we’re on a wage or salary so when we are “off” we have nothing to do. But self made super rich can always find a way to make more and will seek it out because they can. And I wish I could too!

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I would say they do. I think platforms like YouTube have changed the way how people consume media, this is a huge cultural change too. Most businesses in this day and age should pursue online media platforms. Just look at mobile devices, most people have access to a smartphone or a tablet on the go. I am sure the super wealthy do too.

Reactions: Stephanharz

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
No. Rich people are too busy making more money.
It's true that the super-rich are focussed on increasing their wealth, but it's equally true that most of them enjoy spending it occasionally.
Time is their most valuable commodity, and video marketing of high end real estate, private jets, and superyachts allows them to take a good look at what is on offer so that they can be more targeted in the choice of which assets they really want to take the time to go and inspect.
YouTube is the world's largest archive of this kind of video content, and don't forget that it is a search engine too, so most wealthy people find it to be a very useful time-saving tool.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My initial instinct would be that rich people have better things to do but I guess not all rich people just sit in their mansions looking out of the window every night!
If I was rich - I would have so many ideas to create videos too! And I would certainly still be watching our videos for inspiration / for enjoyment / to pass the time etc.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It's true that the super-rich are focussed on increasing their wealth, but it's equally true that most of them enjoy spending it occasionally.
Time is their most valuable commodity, and video marketing of high end real estate, private jets, and superyachts allows them to take a good look at what is on offer so that they can be more targeted in the choice of which assets they really want to take the time to go and inspect.
YouTube is the world's largest archive of this kind of video content, and don't forget that it is a search engine too, so most wealthy people find it to be a very useful time-saving tool.
Oh yea. No disagreement! My guess though is they have a secretary do it for them!

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think that’s a really stupid comment, even celebrity’s watch YouTube believe it or not. YouTube is something that everyone can enjoy, maybe they might not like the same videos as everyone else but that doesn’t mean they watch anything on YouTube.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Probably not as much. Why? There is a reason why they are rich. They probably don't have near the free time a "normal" person has to just unplug behind a PC and watch YouTube videos.