do tags translate to other languages???

Rossiter740

Reaction score
im curious, do tags auto-translate to other languages. Example, the bulk of my small group of viewers are in the U.S, but i seen yesterday germany spiked to 12%, which i thought was odd... is there any chance on my videos ranking outside of US if i only use american tags?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've wondered this, too. I used to use translated tags for my instrumental music videos, and YouTube has found a fairly large group of viewers for my videos who do not speak much English...They tend to complain when my tutorials (with only English tags) are in English, and then I feel bad... :( Because of my English tutorials, I no longer use foreign words in my tags of instrumental music, but I'm not sure if they found my videos because my videos generally don't have words, or if it's because my tags sometimes have different languages... My top-ranking tag and search terms are all in English..

Reactions: markkaz

Rossiter740

Reaction score
same issue here... my videos are all timelapse, so no talking

Hansrutger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I believe that tags, from a developer's thinking, is what is used when someone types in something in the search bar, one or two words. What can have happened is that some people in Germany perhaps used those words exactly. Many countries type in English, not just Americans or people from England :p

Rossiter740

Reaction score
hmm... so maybe i should be tagging in different languages... since we are discussing german lets stick with that, powerwshing translates to "Hochdruckreiniger"... do you think it would be beneficial to tag this?

Hansrutger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think that most people who in European countries search on youtube in English since it's an English platform so I think just using "powerwashing" will be enough, but who knows?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If your video is predominantly English and you are talking a lot with important information in English, I would not use foreign language keywords. Somebody doing a search term in their desired language is likely looking for content in that language as well.

If your content has a lot of visual information or entertainment value, I guess it wouldn't matter much.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Given that my entire channel is dedicated to languages in some regard, I have used some foreign language keywords in the past, provided they’re relevant to the video in question.
Looking at Google Trends and seeing what people are looking at is also a good way of seeing what people are actually typing.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
They don’t translate and the google translation of the description is so bad it’s not worth it. Better to write it yourself and use some keywords in another language