sequan123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
so I was just uploading a video and I was really thinking does tags really help you rank high or make your videos appears on people recommended page.

3rdepsilon

Reaction score
In my experience tags help videos relate to each other. if i upload two videos with the same tags they usually come up at the side as related. The way you should look at it is Youtube uses title description and tags to figure out what your video is but ye i do think tags are used in the initial stage. Once youtube figures out your video it focuses more on metrics, e.g. engagement and watch time.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my experience tags help videos relate to each other. if i upload two videos with the same tags they usually come up at the side as related. The way you should look at it is Youtube uses title description and tags to figure out what your video is but ye i do think tags are used in the initial stage. Once youtube figures out your video it focuses more on metrics, e.g. engagement and watch time.
To add on this adds is not only important, relevant tags is very important especially for channels just starting out...My channel is were it is now thanks to the optimization of my videos with relevant tags.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
I noticed, that it helps with related videos. But I once upload a video and forgot to add tags and I noticed it got decent views thanks to the title. So title is just as important.

Outss

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah title itself can act as a useful tag even. I find myself sometimes being stuck on what relevant stuff the video can be linked to lol. So maybe I just use the wrong tags myself, I am not sure if I get much benefit from them yet.. But I think it might still be early days.

dina

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
tags does help a little. personally i use tags a lot in all of my videos, it helps me know where i rank when a specific content is searched, well with the help of tube-buddy of-course. its quite important especially for small youtuber trying to grow their channel.

Reactions: KingUsher

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
YouTube depends upon the use of words to catalogue and sort videos. The more words you use, the easier it is for the search engine to figure out where it should place your video. As I understand it, tags are the least important after the title and the description, but nonetheless it would be a mistake to neglect them.

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
tags does help a little. personally i use tags a lot in all of my videos, it helps me know where i rank when a specific content is searched, well with the help of tube-buddy of-course. its quite important especially for small youtuber trying to grow their channel.
This and i would like to add that you can make your videos rank higher by linking the tags,video title and description together. By using this technique your video is going to be ranking higher than videos which have higher views than your video for some time.

EyeCantDoThis

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Basically dittoing what people have said above, but tags are so important to growing.

You won't notice it straight away, however I noticed that my videos that got above 50+ views that had tags were then continuing to grow (specifically a lot of traffic coming from recommended). The ones which I had been too lazy to tag hovered around the 40-50 mark but never really took off as they weren't being used for suggested videos in the recommended bar on other content.

Hope that helps!