Do shoutouts really work?

Morpheus0316

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What is your opinion on shoutouts do they actually help smaller channels become know? Or is it as bad as sub 4 sub and can actually hurt the channel.

I personally haven't received a shout out,but I don't think that it really helps smaller channels. When i mean smaller channels I mean channels that are below 100 subs. These shoutouts are randomized at least that's what the shoutout person says. Even though the pattern seems that shoutouts have been going out to people more than 100 subs, but i digress.

Now if you received a shoutout than great, awesome, you definitely deserve the shoutout and i'm not going to take that achievement away from you.

If you haven't received one then just remember to keep putting out high quality content and don't get discouraged from not getting one and just because you get one doesn't mean you will get retain a fan base which is what you want. You want fans which are the people who will return and see your videos and interact with you. Not just subs or viewers.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Julius Gacgacao

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think shoutouts do help smaller channels, depending on who it's from.

For me however I wouldn't want a "free" shoutout. For example if a big youtuber like casey neistat, ever came up to me and said I'll give you a shoutout for free.
I would turn it down, unless I got to work for it.

Bottom line is I don't want a shoutout unless I earned it.

Morpheus0316

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think shoutouts do help smaller channels, depending on who it's from.

For me however I wouldn't want a "free" shoutout. For example if a big youtuber like casey neistat, ever came up to me and said I'll give you a shoutout for free.
I would turn it down, unless I got to work for it.

Bottom line is I don't want a shoutout unless I earned it.
I agree these people who don't earn the shouts just get subs and views but not fans so they can't really build their channel if they just get this one time boost but not a fanbase

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
When I first started I didn't know anything some guy around here said I'll give you free shoutout! Ok, not fully understanding what it was, a week later he said he had the video finished. Ok I check it out all he did was say the names of a bunch of channels! No other information! He went to my page "ok this is uh.., (can't pronounce it right) and he is has some uh videos here go check it out." No one did. I thought it would be a quality review of why he liked each channel, why did that take an entire week?? Anyway he had like 200 subs all of which seemed to be people he shouted out (shout outed?) too. What a waste

Gods of Odds

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I first started I didn't know anything some guy around here said I'll give you free shoutout! Ok, not fully understanding what it was, a week later he said he had the video finished. Ok I check it out all he did was say the names of a bunch of channels! No other information! He went to my page "ok this is uh.., (can't pronounce it right) and he is has some uh videos here go check it out." No one did. I thought it would be a quality review of why he liked each channel, why did that take an entire week?? Anyway he had like 200 subs all of which seemed to be people he shouted out (shout outed?) too. What a waste
Some shout outs do that but there are a few that give proper shout outs and with a review like you're thinking.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Well I've come to be very wary of any channel with 200-400 subs. It seems to be the range of sub4sub folks. Less of course means you haven't done it. More means you actually have an audience. But there's so many who just sub up so much and have no followers I don't want any thing to do with them. But they come around a lot

Reactions: Fuhn Tyme MC

Gods of Odds

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I've come to be very wary of any channel with 200-400 subs. It seems to be the range of sub4sub folks. Less of course means you haven't done it. More means you actually have an audience. But there's so many who just sub up so much and have no followers I don't want any thing to do with them. But they come around a lot
Yep I agree with you, I have seen some channels who I think probably just did sub for sub. In my opinion I do think some shout outs can help but it does highly depend on who gives the shout out.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
I call that "plucked from obscurity " anyway. What is a shout out really? Just standing up and screaming "hey!" ?? I don't understand modern English sometimes. Or maybe it's future English??

Gods of Odds

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I call that "plucked from obscurity " anyway. What is a shout out really? Just standing up and screaming "hey!" ?? I don't understand modern English sometimes. Or maybe it's future English??
I do agree with you but I think a lot of people just see it as a way to get exposure for their channel. I personally will never do shout outs.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I participated in a "Shoutout Sunday" once, to see how it would go. I got a big spike in subscribers for the day I was shouted out, and got a whole lot of really generic comments like, "Great channel! Subbed!"

Those people never visited my channel again. It was a very interesting experiment, but I think it's pretty much indicative of the false economy of relying on people who are trying to do the same thing as you for your viewers. Other YouTubers are only going to have so much attention for your channel, so try to reach the people who want to watch more than the folks who want to create content.