Do I need to worry about copyright on Video Game Walkthroughs that are not public or monetized

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So, my channel is really not about video games. I actually make real hunting and fishing videos. Recently I have started playing Hunter Call of the wild 2019, and engaging on the Steam forum helping new people players learn the ropes. I decided to make some walkthrough videos and host them on my main youtube account, but keep them UNLISTED and not Monetized. I am only sharing links on the steam community to them. Do I have to worry about copyright issues with these videos?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
That depends on the EULA for the game. If the game dev reserves all rights, this means that the company can lay claim to your videos for copyright infringement. It doesn't matter that the videos are unlisted; Content ID scans for infringement as content is being uploaded.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Content ID scans for infringement as content is being uploaded.
Does this mean that if it is not immediately flagged, that it is okay. There are thousands of other walkthroughs on YouTube for this game, does that mean it is okay.

Sorry for the questions. I just have never used content that I did not personally create, so I am unsure about these things.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
No it doesn't that if it isn't immediately flagged, that it's ok my friend. It simply means that the Content ID system doesn't contain a fingerprint for this particular game at that time. If you will give me a little bit of time, I'll see if I can find the EULA and tell you what is in it.

Here is the intellectual property section of the EULA; from what I see here, I think you'd better write to them and ask them to clarify before creating videos.

"18. Intellectual Property Rights
Avalanche Studios Intellectual Property
You acknowledge and agree that all content, design elements, and materials available in the Game, for example graphics, logos, designs, characters, objects, environments, worlds, icons, scripts and service names (“Avalanche Studios Content”) are owned by Avalanche Studios and/or its partners and licensors and protected by copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, and/or other proprietary rights of Avalanche Studios and/or its partners and licensors. Avalanche Studios and its partners and licensors retain all right, title and interest in and to the Avalanche Studios Content. You may not use, copy, reproduce, modify, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute any Avalanche Studios Content in any form or for any means, unless expressly permitted in this Agreement. Avalanche Studios' trademarks and trade dress may not be used, including as part of trademarks and/or as part of domain names, in connection with any product or service in any manner that is likely to cause confusion and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Avalanche Studios. In addition, you may not sell, license, rent, perform, display, create derivative works from, or in any way use or exploit Avalanche Studios Content in any way unless expressly permitted in this Agreement. You agree not to disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer any software or other component of the Game or Avalanche Studios Content. Unless explicitly stated herein, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as conferring to you any license to intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, implication or otherwise. You agree not to assert against Avalanche Studios any claim, action or proceeding for infringement of any patents, patent rights or other intellectual property rights."

I will do a search for YouTube videos in this document when I am fully awake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungle Explorer