Do I need to tell my audience that my video has an affiliate link?

DvApps

Reaction score
Hey,
Recently a company reached out to me. They wanted me to make a video about their software and in return, they would give me an affiliate link. Do I legally have to tell my viewers that my video contains an affiliate link or is that just for sponsorships?
Thanks!

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
In some countries it's illegal to do these kind of sponsored videos without disclosure (I believe some UK creators got in trouble for that) so better safe than sorry.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You have to declare it as a promotional video in the video settings if you have monetisation enabled - otherwise YouTube can take down your video/issue strikes.

You don't necessarily have to tell your viewers that its a sponsorship, but it'll be pretty obvious that it is in 99% of cases so you're better off being honest about it.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the monetization forum. :)

If they've reached out to you and asked you to make a video dedicated to their product, they should be offering you money for the publicity and the exposure to their brand on top of the affiliate link.

And yes, you need to declare it as a "paid endorsement / promotion" by ticking the box in the "advanced options" tab.

The option below it is also highly recommended (the option that will declare to your viewers that it's an endorsement.) to make sure you are fully compliant.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have a question about this subject. I do a lot of product review videos on stuff I buy and use for myself. So far no company has offered to send me products to review, but say in the future one does. I am not talking about them paying me to do a review, but just providing the product for review. In this case, what does youtube require?

Cosy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just d
Hey,
Recently a company reached out to me. They wanted me to make a video about their software and in return, they would give me an affiliate link. Do I legally have to tell my viewers that my video contains an affiliate link or is that just for sponsorships?
Thanks!
Yeah if they have reached out to you i would disclose it :)

iMADTech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
for my opinion, sure you have to tell them that and to mention this will help you build your channel and as a support from your audience to your channel