Do I need to show myself?

ALEA freelicencemusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've always felt that showing yourself is way better for audience retention, as opposed to just coldly putting content out there. It connects more deeply with the viewers, which would remember your channel more easily.
Since I own a music channel, showing myself is not "mandatory", but do you think it would have a noticeable impact?
I also feel like it is a little too soon for me, since I have absurdly high quality standards wich I think I'll not be able to meet in the short term... so I feel kind of afraid to be tied forever to content wich I'd like to be just a bit better.

My idea was to keep uploading content and getting better at producing, and only then show myself and interact more closely with my audience. But do you think that this kind of "anonymus" thing could work as a starting point? Or is the brand THAT much weaker without a face to support it?

Reactions: kevinboston7

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
If you've ever seen Avnish Parker, he rarely shows his face, I've only seen it once in a video that I believe was later removed. He also doesn't even use his real voice. I think you need to decide what you want your audience to get used to. Either no face, or a healthy mix. If you're a music channel I imagine that it would be hard to have your face in every video so that's why I don't think it would be an option.

Whatever you decide to do, just keep it consistent so that new viewers will feel comfortable if they watch your other content!

ALEA freelicencemusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you've ever seen Avnish Parker, he rarely shows his face, I've only seen it once in a video that I believe was later removed. He also doesn't even use his real voice. I think you need to decide what you want your audience to get used to. Either no face, or a healthy mix. If you're a music channel I imagine that it would be hard to have your face in every video so that's why I don't think it would be an option.

Whatever you decide to do, just keep it consistent so that new viewers will feel comfortable if they watch your other content!
thanks mate, this makes sense. :) I'd like to know what everyone has to say

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It depends on what you want to do, If you want to show your face, then do it, and if you´d don't, then don´t.
as you said it´s not mandatory, and there will be people who want to see a persons face, and some people who doesn´t care.

The Matt Diaries

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As an audience member I'd be more inclined to subscribe to someone who speaks to the camera when delivering content. I believe that allowing the audience to see you has a big impact on whether they stick around to watch more of your content or not. The power of personality cannot be underestimated. That's just my opinion [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I prefer to see a face. Although I sub to a Car DIY channel with over 2m subs and he still doesnt show his face.
So it can work either way.

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I really don't think you need to show your face if you make this kind of content. People visit your channel for the music. They don't really care what the guy (or girl) who made it look like. But maybe that's just my opinion.

ALEA freelicencemusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You all have a point. My struggle is to find some way to make my brand stronger. I think that personality is key for more channel types, but in my case it has very marginal importance. The problem is that I have 0 idea on how to make my channel stand out and make content wich encourages subscriptions. I would like to know what people are looking for when they sub to a channel, for some it is the personality of the youtuber, for others it may be the humorous content. I'm not looking to radically change my content, but I'd like to know HOW YOU HOOK PEOPLE IN.

I think that people may enjoy what's going on, but I don't subscribe to channels myself, unless the youtuber or something else remind me to.

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
You all have a point. My struggle is to find some way to make my brand stronger. I think that personality is key for more channel types, but in my case it has very marginal importance. The problem is that I have 0 idea on how to make my channel stand out and make content wich encourages subscriptions. I would like to know what people are looking for when they sub to a channel, for some it is the personality of the youtuber, for others it may be the humorous content. I'm not looking to radically change my content, but I'd like to know HOW YOU HOOK PEOPLE IN.

I think that people may enjoy what's going on, but I don't subscribe to channels myself, unless the youtuber or something else remind me to.
Maybe you should study other music related channels? like Suicide Sheep, who is beloved by the indie/electronic community on YouTube. I don't have the answer, but some research into other similar channels will definitely yield results!

Lew

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
No, I don't think it would make too much of a difference. If it's a music channel, then surely people are there for the music.

Unless you're teaching them how to make music, or sharing some of your kit, I wouldn't let it bother you. If you're using the channel just to share your music, then no face is fine in my eyes.

Reactions: Alexander Hoff