Do I need scripts

Dauglybutcool21

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently, I saw videos from YouTubers say that sometimes they use scripts in their video and that made me wonder. Do need scripts in your videos? Are scripts required to make videos or is it just for help? I don't know which one it is. Reply for your awnser

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally don't use scripts. If I do anything close to it, it's more just a list of things I want to talk about in the video, but most of the time i just wing it.

Reactions: Liam O’Doyle

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No, you don't. I never do!

Liam O’Doyle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
I’ve scripted a few of my videos, but i’ve never uploaded a scripted one as they don’t come across natural as i’m basically forcing it.

I tend to make sure i know what i’m going to talk about, jot a few notes, maybe bullet points as a reference. Note any funnies that i don’t want to forget, hit record and wing it. The more you talk, the more you have to work with. You might cut loads out in the edit, but at least you have the option.[DOUBLEPOST=1511435652,1511435372][/DOUBLEPOST]I’ve scripted a few of my videos, but i’ve never uploaded a scripted one as they don’t come across natural as i’m basically acting.

Nazo The Weeb

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually use scripts for my videos.
If you usually have a hard time free talking in your video, you can write a script for yourself and put all the things you want to talk about, you can also add onto and change it to your liking when you're ready to start recording.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
It depends on what kind of person you are really...some people can just talk fluidly and have a knack of saying everything they could ever need or want to say in one effortless take (Its alright to hate these people) others need a bit more prompting...I know some people on here who keep it down to just bullet points. I myself script because if I didnt I'd probably end up either going off on a tangent or I'd miss out large chunks of the information im supposed to be recalling :) I'd say script if you have a lot of information and you need it to be coherent, bullet point if you just havea few broad things you want to talk about. Wing it if you just want a random conversation that puts a message across. :)

LytaneVS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Scripts can be very helpful as they take away so much of the thinking required to make up things on the spot. If you are doing a lot of off camera stuff and aren't reacting to something then a script can come in handy to cut out all of those ummms and uhhhhs and fumbles because you have something to read. It can also help if you have a lot of information that you want to say and don't want to miss something or make a mistake.
I use scripts for my review series because I want to get certain points across. Then for my let's plays and board game play through and first impressions on movies it's unscripted to make it feel natural. Lastly I'll use bullet points for certain reviews so I remember what I had to say but can talk about it more openly like my rant videos.

In the end though it's what you feel comfortable with. One friend didn't like the use of scripts because he felt like it was unnatural then would get annoyed in the editing because he forgot to say something or that he stuttered too much thinking of what to say. Now he uses dot points to keep himself focused because scripts make him sound unnatural.

Reactions: Cheeky Chad

Matt0417

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It depends on what type of video you're making. If it's a gaming video, you could just edit out some parts where you stutter alot. If it's a review or a commentary video, then yeah, it's recommended to have one.

Reactions: Mcrocks9