Do Channel Trailers work?

Minikinart

Reaction score
When would be a good time to make a channel trailer; at the very beginning or when you've got a decent amount of subscribers already? And how do you make it; using parts of the existing videos or filming it separately?

Spectre677

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
When would be a good time to make a channel trailer; at the very beginning or when you've got a decent amount of subscribers already? And how do you make it; using parts of the existing videos or filming it separately?
I would probably wait until you have enough content on your channel that you can pull some bits from here and there unless you plan on making a video just as your channel Trailer.

Minikinart

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I will check and see if I have any great footage so far that I could use, I'm already saving some bloopers, I definitely want it to be fun as it can be the first encounter for some of the viewers. Then I'm going to try and plan the whole trailer and see what else I have to film and how to put everything together.

Lazy Nik

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
And how do you make it; using parts of the existing videos or filming it separately?
It really depends on what you like the most. It can be crafted from your footage, or you can come up with something completely original for it.
For instance, as you said, bloopers, funny or epic moments, or, yet again, something you wouldn't normally do, but still correlate with your content.

Reactions: Minikinart

defoox

Reaction score
Well Yes..if your trailer is very informative and entertaining at the same time

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I created a trailer which is a little more like a montage but I had the luxury of having 18 months worth of travel vlogs to choose from. It's not as highly viewed as the rest of my videos but I think that may come down to the discoverability of it with it not just being one specific location. I have gained a few subs since then but I've also been working really hard on promoting my channel on other platforms and engaging with other users on YT so it could be that too haha.

DeanDK

Reaction score
I was just at a YouTube Creator Day and I can't remember the percentages, but channels with a trailer did better by calculable percentage points than those without, especially for unsubscribed views. So it's definitely something that works for Youtubers-at-large. On a creator-by-creator basis, I'm not too sure how that works out, but it seems like if it's something that is, on the average, beneficial to a channel, it's worth trying.
That's interesting and helpful. Was there any mention of a range of time frame for the channel trailer?

Reactions: xingcat

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's interesting and helpful. Was there any mention of a range of time frame for the channel trailer?
Do you mean how long the trailer should be? I think short and sweet is the best rule of thumb.

Reactions: DeanDK

DeanDK

Reaction score
Do you mean how long the trailer should be? I think short and sweet is the best rule of thumb.
Hahah yeah that is what I meant. Sorry it was poorly worded at work at the moment lol.
Okay cool.

Oscar J Stones

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Cartoonist, Animator, Other
Personally I just think it's a fun way to develop a more personal connection with your audience, if you don't have the kind of channel that's necessarily focussed on you. I've been planning one myself for a while, still not sure when/ if I'll roll it out though