Do Channel Trailers work?

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've been toying the idea with creating a channel trailer for a while now and now I have a wide selection of videos to choose from it got me thinking: do channel trailers stimulate channel growth? Has anyone ever created one and seen growth on their channel?

Reactions: defoox

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
This is actually something I'd like to know myself too. Especially in the kids category.

Are channel trailers more for adults than kids?

Also bonus question: is it beneficial to run adwords on your channel trailer?

Reaction score
This made me go back and look at my analytics for my video. Thanks! :) Our video is 46 seconds long and has a 74% retention (34 secs). I do see somewhat low engagement on it though. I think it really depends on the type of channel and how people are finding you.

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Some good questions added there. I do travel and life content so may trial a 1min trailer and see how it does. Will get back to you.

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you do a channel trailer that is really grabbing and promote it, you can gain a good chunk of views/subs potentially. Especially because if you keep it 30 seconds to a minute that will really help in the long run.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I don't have a channel trailer myself, but I think a short one might help. If it's kept short and to the point, the viewer can get a small preview of what to expect. I want to do a short trailer in near future and find out, if I was right with this thought.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't know what kind of engagement could come from a channel trailer, since it's a creator-to-viewer experience. Kind of saying, "Here's my channel, please check it out," but not something that would engender much discussion. So engagement wouldn't be a big deal.

I was just at a YouTube Creator Day and I can't remember the percentages, but channels with a trailer did better by calculable percentage points than those without, especially for unsubscribed views. So it's definitely something that works for Youtubers-at-large. On a creator-by-creator basis, I'm not too sure how that works out, but it seems like if it's something that is, on the average, beneficial to a channel, it's worth trying.

Reactions: DeanDK

TwoWords

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I think it's definitely a good way to quickly tell those who have stumbled on your channel who you are and what you do.
Also, in your Creator Studio, go to Channel > Featured Content and select it as your Channel ad. Take a read of the Terms next to it, but it gives it the *slight* chance of getting featured sometime.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've noticed that most of the videos I've used as my channel trailers have gotten a lot of views, so I think it's worth to have one there for people who stumble upon one of your videos, like it and go check the actual channel page.

Interestingly though, the first real trailer I did (other's have been just videos from my channel that I've thought represent my content well) hasn't done too well on Youtube, but it worked nicely with Facebook ads.

Spectre677

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I was advised to keep it under 5mins in duration but make sure you get out all the relevant content to tell the viewer in the first 30 seconds which isn't easy. I did have one under 4mins long and it did it's job based on the content I had at the time I have just re-done my Trailer a day ago and it is just over 8mins long but has snippets from my now much larger pool of videos from 15 sec up to 40 seconds all into 1 video like the funny or random parts. You can spot some real gems when watching your own stuff back and be like "What did I really say or do that lol" have fun with it and be yourself.