DIY Pop Filter for a Headset

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So now that I've decided to return to Gaming, I noticed that the audio quality through my headset (which I had used previously with no complains) was rather poop. I was a bit confused, then I remembered that I had removed the small pop filter that comes with the headset. (I use Turtlebeach Earforce X11's). This is a pretty crucial piece, and without it my audio sounded like I was recording with a pawtaytoe.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, it's this little thing.

Now to solve this issue, I devised a simple little plan. Mattress foam. Bare with me for a second, but the crap that's hiding under your butt at night is actually a reasonable replacement for a pop filter. Now the way I did this was simple, after I had my piece of foam that I didn't cut from my sisters bed, I simply wrapped it around the mic piece, and stapled the end so it was a cylinder. I then re-checked to see if it still fit, and then cut off the excess foam I had around the sides. Here's a before and after shot.

You can call me the YTtalk MacGyver. Except this doesn't explode or shoot people.. yet.

So yeah, after a few sound tests I noticed a reasonable difference in the quality and it also removed tonnes of background noise including my fan and the average white noise/fuzz that you would usually get. I'm pretty happy with my creativity and I believe I deserve a gold star. :)

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Unrelated, but are you also Potater, aka Goblin?

MudPlayz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is completely off topic but I just thought i'd tell you, with your
thumbnails here, the episode number gets hidden by the video time stamp, this could cause your viewers to think it's an epsiode that they have previously watched :)

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
thumbnails here, the episode number gets hidden by the video time stamp, this could cause your viewers to think it's an epsiode that they have previously watched :)
GAD DAMN. Give me a sec, I'll change me thumbnails, thanks for that man. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1391093777,1391093409][/DOUBLEPOST]
Woah! Just checked out your channel, it's so clean and tidy. :eek: Omg, I'm extremely jealous right now. <3

Nice videos to, I love the layout for the "Pokemon Sacred Gold All-Star Run", it's incredible. :D

Reactions: MudPlayz

MudPlayz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
GAD DAMN. Give me a sec, I'll change me thumbnails, thanks for that man. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1391093777,1391093409][/DOUBLEPOST]
Woah! Just checked out your channel, it's so clean and tidy. :eek: Omg, I'm extremely jealous right now. <3

Nice videos to, I love the layout for the "Pokemon Sacred Gold All-Star Run", it's incredible. :D
haha thanks man :]

Cleetus777

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Hey faptain...I was recently recomended towards your direction for amazing gfx...
Well, your mission, if you chise to accept it, is to possibly make me a banner, and an avatar in exchange for YTCash and anything else (if ya know what I mean ;) ) Thanks and sorry for being waaaay off topic here :)
-Cleetus777

PrimeTime

Reaction score
I saw this before, also another great pop filter Idea is a piece of Nylon I found worked really well on my old headset. No pops or crackles or anything, hopefully this helps someone out :)