DIY Pop Filter - AT-ATR2500

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So now that I've got my new microphone, I remembered that without a pop filter (since I don't have the extra cash laying around just yet) that I'm going to get those annoying wind bursts from words beginning with p, b and s. So, I created this pop filter out of the following materials.

(Note, these can all be picked up for under $5 - maybe free if you've got it laying around)

- Wire Coat Hanger
- Leggings (Stocking) - Best if they're new. ;)
- Tape

Step 1 - Grab a wire coat hanger and straighten it out. Then make a hoop on one end (7 inch diameter is best)

Step 2 - Get your pantyhose and pull them over the hoop until the end (Where your foot would be) is at the top. Cut off the excess stocking (leave about 5-7cm's) at the bottom of the hoop and tape it around the bottom of the wire.

Step 3 - Make a small hoop on the other end, so that you can wrap it around the bottom of your microphone.

Note: the ATR-2500 has a small threaded piece that connects to the stand, which is where I wrapped it around, you can adapt this to ANY microphone stand - Desk and/or large stands)

Step 4 - Place the small hoop around the bottom of your microphone and tighten it up reaaaal tight. If it doesn't sit properly, secure it with a piece of tape.

VOILA! You now have a home made pop filter, congratulations!

[Excuse the mess, my Grandfather is a 3D Modeler/Animator and his setup is ridiculous.]

If you followed this article, please show me your creations below ;D It also works quite well, I screamed a variety of words starting with troublesome letters and I heard no wind bursts or distortion. :)

Thanks for reading, hopefully this helps you out,
Faptain.

Last edited:

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That's so cool :O
I've been messing around with it since taking the picture, straightening it out more, cleaning it up etc.

It's a great substitute if you can't fork out the money for a filter straight away. :)

Actually, I'll tag @Leehashee because I'm sure he might find this article useful as we both have the same mic.

Reactions: TheRoboDC

Leo Hashee

The Asian dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
CRAP! I could have saved money by not buying a pop filter and should have just used this.....ah well, looks awesome

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Truth be told, I used to get under the duvey (as a echo absorber) use a rockband mic connected to Audacity on my laptop and use a sock as a pop filter. It was hilarious how I used to try and get good sound XD
Worked well though :p

DenGenesis

Reaction score
Yeah remember doing that old trick when i worked in a ghetto recording studio.
Actually works like a charm haha