Diverse channel content: Create a new channel or keep it in one?

ViciousXUSMC

Master Viking
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
So this question has really been bugging me lately.

What to do with my channel...

I have a lot of diverse content. I do tutorials, reviews of hardware/software, and gaming videos.

I figured it was best to keep it in one place since I am so small, having the bigger draw (in my case my game videos) will help expose my other stuff (tutorials/reviews) but now I am having second thoughts.

First major thing that hit me is that YouTube looks down on video game content quite poorly for monitization and thus for partnership. I have been declined a few times for the program and I think its due to the few content/copyright matches my game videos have picked up.

Now a new second reason is that I am finding my viewers to only be there for one thing or the other. I can post a tutorial video or a review and that video gets spammed with comments on when the next game video is going to be out....

So I think if I create a new channel and separate my game videos from everything else it may pay off in the long run. Probably will be a pain in the butt to have to log in & out of different accounts and all that.

But I want some feedback from you guys on what you think. Just keep it together and make life easier or do you think separating my content will pay off in the long run.

My greatest fear right now is that splitting my channel will cause a lot of damage to my business. Just recently as in this year has my subscriber count and view count become big enough that if I propose to a company to ask them for a product to do a review on they take me serious. If I make a new channel that has 100 subscribers and little views I will be way back at square one again :(

I know I can float some traffic from one account to the other so picking back up should be faster than before but it still makes my stomach uneasy thinking about what may happen.

In that light it may be best to keep my current channel as my tech channel (actually it was originally gameplay came later) and have the new channel be for the games. But then I still have all the gameplay videos associated with the account and thus holding me back from a partnership.

I feel having no game videos on my account will put me in the best clean standing with YouTube for progression later on.

Im so stuck, anything you can key in on I appreciate.

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
If people came to your current YouTube channel for gaming videos then I believe that is what they will expect to see. A lot of these people would not be willing to go another channel and sub just to see this. Make your new channel for things other than games because your main channel needs to have what people like most

JostenVlogs

I Vlog Everday On Youtube
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You could do tutorials and hardware and software review for one channel and gameplay for another. But remember it will be kinda hard to promote 2 channels at one time. So I would dedicate to growing one up to at least a couple thousand subs then branching off to another channel.

ViciousXUSMC

Master Viking
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I am starting the split, it may suck short term but will pay off long term.

My first big indication of a problem is doing a product review and then having people spam comments about when the next game video is coming..

As for subs... the main channel has 3500 subs I decided it will be my tech channel, the new channel will be the gaming channel. Gaming stuff picks up faster and pretty much none of it is monetized. Adsense and stuff is already linked to my main account so this is the better way to split. I'll work on my announcement video later to let people know what is going on.

Now I can get people interested for proper content. I see just because I am interested in games and reviews does not mean my viewers are. I found a good analogy its like TV. You do not want to turn on ESPN to watch sports and then have a soap opera come on :D

I think I did the right thing having it all together when I was smaller but now that I am a bit bigger its time to make this move.