Dislikes

Quirkypoo

Reaction score
Hey there,

I got a dislike on my video today. I accept that were all going to encounter our first dislike, its just inevitable! But what I'm concerned about is whether that will effect people watching my videos and what not?

Just wondered if anyone knew what the consequences of receiving dislikes is on a video.

Thanks a lot!

QP

Reactions: Drawingkids

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Probably not.

Honestly if you get dislikes just accept it really it's inevitable.

We get around 1 dislike for every 20 ish likes on our channel.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Dislikes supposedly have the same effect as likes in that Youtube sees someone is interacting with the video. Unfortunately, they might sway people to think a video is bad if there are more dislikes than likes.

Reactions: Quirkypoo

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Videos can still get lots of views even with lots of dislikes. I don't think the likes/dislike ratio prevents you from getting views at all. There are some popular videos with lots and lots of dislikes and they still get shown to people. Some of the big kids channels pull large numbers of dislikes(inconsistent interaction from kids) and still rack up millions and millions of views. I had a video on an extra channel of mine that was poorly made but I had a good idea and it got like 60 likes and 285 dislikes... but was over 20,000 views and still getting a lot of views when I privated it. The system didn't seem to care that it was a bad video because people wanted to see that kind of content... just better made. I have like 4 videos over 50,000 views on my main channel that have at least 30% dislikes. My most viewed video ever (~150,000 views) has over 40% dislikes and keeps gaining more and more views like it doesn't even matter. Again disclaimer it was poor content I made early on and I accept full responsibility but for this topic it's a good example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quirkypoo

Quirkypoo

Reaction score
Videos can still get lots of views even with lots of dislikes. I don't think the likes/dislike ratio is a primary part of how YouTube chooses to show videos. There are some popular videos with lots and lots of dislikes and they still get shown to people. Some of the big kids channels pull large numbers of dislikes(inconsistent interaction from kids) and still rack up millions and millions of views. I had a video on an extra channel of mine that was poorly made but I had a good idea and it got like 60 likes and 285 dislikes... but was over 20,000 views and still getting a lot of views when I privated it. The system didn't seem to care that it was a bad video because people wanted to see that kind of content... just better made. I have like 4 videos over 50,000 views on my main channel that have at least 30% dislikes. My most viewed video ever (~150,000 views) has over 40% dislikes and keeps gaining more and more views like it doesn't even matter. Again disclaimer it was poor content I made early on and I accept full responsibility but for this topic it's a good example.

Thank you that makes me feel a lot better about the situation, its my second dislike on a video so I can't help feeling slightly disappointed! Do you mind me asking at what point you started to reel lots of views? I understand our channels are a lot different but I was just wondering! Thanks a lot for your advice I really appreciate it :) and same goes to everyone else who commented too!

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Dislikes happen. And I don’t believe it negatively affects video views.
My only concern with dislikes is when you have more dislikes than likes. Because when someone new watches the video, they’ll already be skeptical about the video going into it and that may influence their view of the video too.

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive gotten plenty of dislikes. Just comes with the territory. All counts as interaction.

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There will always be dislikes, I don't worry about it too much, and am happy someone interacted.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ditto for the above.

But, if you get more dislikes than likes, you have a problem.

That shouldn't really happen if you are putting up good content.

Concentrate on the % of likes to views - that's the real indicator and aiming point for your channel.

If I get a less than 10% like rate for the first few days viewing it is unusual. But I've worked hard to get it up to that level. It's a good indicator of the improvement in your videos and interaction ability.

Rob.