Difference Between a "Claim" and a "Strike" ?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I have received many 'claims', several which I owned licenses for the content (music) and successfully appealed and a few that I just lived with the "cannot monetize video". The email messages from Youtube about these claims are very friendly with words like "Dont worry, your account is not in trouble" ..

But I have seen/read about a copyright "strike", which which does not seem as friendly.

What is the difference between a "Claim" and a "Strike" ?

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I believe claim = owners fine with you sharing their contents but they get the money from ads off it while strikes are ones you get when you dispute videos then lose which results in video getting taken down.I got claims too which i don`t mind because for now claimed videos help me gain more audience then in the future i wont make claim videos."claims are not accompanied by copyright strikes, and can not result in suspension or termination of your channel. However, if you believe a claim was made in error, you can dispute the claim" says youtube.

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think a claim is just an accusation against you by someone else and a strike is a penalty for what YouTube believes you have violated.

Niels Cornelissen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I believe claim = owners fine with you sharing their contents but they get the money from ads off it while strikes are ones you get when you dispute videos then lose which results in video getting taken down.I got claims too which i don`t mind because for now claimed videos help me gain more audience then in the future i wont make claim videos."claims are not accompanied by copyright strikes, and can not result in suspension or termination of your channel. However, if you believe a claim was made in error, you can dispute the claim" says youtube.
I think KingUsher covered most. Please do realise that disputing a claim might result in an actual strike.