Did you have trouble finding your niche?

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Anyone else really struggle with narrowing things down? I started my channel wanting to do ALL OF THE THINGS! I have a lot of interests. I wanted to do Youtube. So, I thought I'd do music, nerdy videos, reviews, vlogs, and have a gaming channel. Looking back that's a very scattered channel with no real focus. Not to say I'll never sprinkle in other types of videos once in a while or start posting on my gaming channel if I ever get to do Youtube full-time and have the time to do so. However, I've learned my focus and passion is music and I want to make it a music centric channel. I feel like I've finally found my niche or main focus. Now if the having more focused content works for me or not I can't really tell you, yet.

Just wondering if anyone else had issues deciding their channel's main focus? What was your experience? How did you decide where to focus your channel? Or did you know right away that your channel was going to be about whatever your theme is?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I didn´t really have any trouble finding my niche, since I had already established my name over a year before making my youtube channel, since I had started a blog with the same name.
The trouble I had though was finding the time and money to go out and travel.

Reactions: Cassarilla

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I didn´t really have any trouble finding my niche, since I had already established my name over a year before making my youtube channel, since I had started a blog with the same name.
The trouble I had though was finding the time and money to go out and travel.
Cool! Traveling sounds fun but the time and money juggling seems complicated. I'm sure it's worth it to see new places though!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Cool! Traveling sounds fun but the time and money juggling seems complicated. I'm sure it's worth it to see new places though!
It´s so worth it, Since I´ve started youtube I have been to over 17 places, whereas 11 of them were places I have never been to before! It has been amazing, and hopefully I will go to new places and continue to travel! I have a plan that I will be traveling for a year!

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Finding a niche was never a problem.

I was already doing web pages related to metalwork/DIY and when I added a few YT videos to those pages the subscribers just came pouring in.

I was gobsmacked to see how many people were desperate to learn about the subject.

So the niche was there, and all I had to do was recognise it and give viewers what they wanted.

Identifying/recognising the niche is the issue. YT is now very competitive/saturated and viewers have lots to chose from, so you have to put up a good product to grow.

You also have to be knowledgable and interested in the subject.

Cheers Rob

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Finding a niche was never a problem.

I was already doing web pages related to metalwork/DIY and when I added a few YT videos to those pages the subscribers just came pouring in.

I was gobsmacked to see how many people were desperate to learn about the subject.

So the niche was there, and all I had to do was recognise it and give viewers what they wanted.

Identifying/recognising the niche is the issue. YT is now very competitive/saturated and viewers have lots to chose from, so you have to put up a good product to grow.

You also have to be knowledgable and interested in the subject.

Cheers Rob
That's awesome and congrats on your success! That just goes to show that you never really know for certain how many people are truly interested in what you're doing until you put it out there.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't feel like my tech channel really has a niche as such, its general tech. Although with me wanting to get back into making videos for it, I'm going to try to find a niche. With the animation one though, I was chatting with my brother about all the work that goes into animation and then I thought why not make that into a channel that does videos about how animated films are made, and only reviews animated films (which is more niche than doing every type of film). So that's how that channel was born.

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cassarilla1

I myself actually like having a variety in my Chatting channel
That was a can cover a range of topics that I am interested in
I do admit I use a lot of playlists but that is only for people to find the same interest as mine.

Mark Stise

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is my third (and most successful) channel. It works both for me and my audience. But it didn't start off as what it is now. I followed what my audience wanted and ended up with what I have now.

SayNoToDomo

Reaction score
Ive kindof had a problem finding a niche as well, I currently do 2 daily uploads of lets plays for games, but now on top of that I want to make a different type of videos on top of the normal just lets plays. I want to be able to like do some stats analysis and game reviews but I feel like it would be to different that the content on my channel already. I dont know if I should start a second channel for it or if I should just post it on my current channel.