Did you have a good amount of dislikes when you first started?

Tristanstulce

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have been primarily focusing on reddit which I know can be a bit of a difficult one at times. Haven't promoted to friends etc, just trying to build an audience from zero.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think if you promote on reddit, you will probably get a lot more dislikes than "normal." It also probably depends a lot on what kind of content you post -- controversial stuff, or opinionated stuff will probably get a lot of dislikes from people who do not agree. I don't post any commentary videos, I never promoted anywhere (I let YouTube's algorithm do that part...), and it took a good 6 months of posting 1 video a week before I got my first dislike.

Tristanstulce

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think if you promote on reddit, you will probably get a lot more dislikes than "normal." It also probably depends a lot on what kind of content you post -- controversial stuff, or opinionated stuff will probably get a lot of dislikes from people who do not agree. I don't post any commentary videos, I never promoted anywhere (I let YouTube's algorithm do that part...), and it took a good 6 months of posting 1 video a week before I got my first dislike.
Yeah I figured as much, mine is just me giving tips on a subject. Wish I knew if it was a "I disagree with what you are saying" or a "This video isn't good" kinda deal.

GearGasms

Reaction score
When you start getting dislikes, that means you have arrived. Or soon will. Sadly. I'd rather hear what they didn't like in a comment than just a thumbs down. How can I fix what people dislike if I don't know what that is?

Reactions: Tristanstulce

thefourwinds

Reaction score
Redditors more often than not will dislike. When you post on the forums they perceive youtube videos as spam, unless there is genuinely something extremely unique about that video. I usually just avoid reddit altogether, but it can be useful at times.

GearGasms

Reaction score
Redditors more often than not will dislike. When you post on the forums they perceive youtube videos as spam, unless there is genuinely something extremely unique about that video. I usually just avoid reddit altogether, but it can be useful at times.
There are a lot of sites like that. People in online forums or FB groups can be very grouchy about posting your vids in them. It's hard because where can you promote if YT is not suggesting your videos. I get it though - the internet is littered with people saying "Hey, watch my video!"

kevintracy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I've noticed that on my early product review videos that did well, I had a very high dislike to like ratio. Although I do tend to be a bit silly with my product reviews, they didn't warrant the negative review. And the audience retention was actually pretty good. Someone suggested it was other creators who reviewed the same product whose videos were competing with mine. The dislikes seemed centered on hand and power tool product reviews. I don't know if that's true or not, but it doesn't really bother me if they don't leave a comment.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I geuss if you just try to promote your videos on reddit and not really participate, you might get some dislikes from people there.
So I'd suggest to not jst drop your video in a subreddit and leave. I started on reddit about 2 years ago and I'd say I didn't get more dislikes than before.

James Garrett

Reaction score
I started my channel about 5 weeks ago and have 7 videos online. My like ratio is something like 97% or something ‍♂

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I expected to get a lot more dislikes when I started than I did. im not sure my exact like to dislike ratio at the moment but its probably somewhere around 98% likes