Did You Ever Start a Trend/Meme on YouTube?

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Did you ever start something and noticed other channels starting to copy you? I don't mean just stealing your videos and reuploading them as their own. I mean mimicking your idea.

For my example, there is a meme called "X in G Major" in which certain edits are made to videos and the effect is considered scary. This meme has been around since 2007 and there are lots of channels that are centered around this. At the end of 2014 I discovered it and wanted to partake, but while learning how to do these edits, I made up my own method that improved on the best parts of the meme, while minimizing the parts I didn't like about it. With them being different enough from the regular method, I gave them the name "horror version".

Now, of course I get many comments of people complaining that it is "just g major", but I've noticed that several other channels are now either changing their labeling from "in g major" to "horror version", or they are at least adding "horror version" into the title. It's pretty cool to enter into a niche, add my own twist, and have that niche want to be more like me.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey congrats! That's actually pretty cool that your idea blew up like that. Nah, haven't started a trend, but I doubt I ever will because of the way my channel is structured.

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn