Did thumbnails get better or worse?

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
An experienced reviewer commented that my thumbnails had only one problem: the text was too small to read. Since each of my videos deal with one word, with the aim of explaining it in a fun way, a single word on a splash of white, seemed just like the thing needed. But now I've gotten negative feedback from another source who felt it took too much of the seriousness out of the topics in my niche. No feedback yet from fans, but changes were only made today. I'd like some feedback on the splash concept (see my signature), and whether it takes 'fun in learning' a little too far for my intended audience (students and trainees in healthcare).

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yep your breaking a lot of unwritten rules there in graphic design. The thumbnail writing is far too small and thin. Not fit for purpose for a thumbnail image. Also.. black text on tuquose (excuse spelling) doesn't work. Maybe a white block (highlight) behind the text. With heavier text font is all thats needed to fix those thumbnails. The toons /pictures are good otherwise :)

Reactions: Mazen and MedTerms

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

Yeah I agree with @UhoohExtra

Although thumbnails are created in a big format 1280x720, they are never seen that big. You want them to be clearly visible in the size used in the search results and more importantly in the size used in the "suggested videos" list on the right of the screen.

A good tip for text colours is to use white text with a black outline. That combination is clearly visible on ALL backround colours. That's why it's used on memes. Look at these examples that all use white text with a black outline. Notice how the text is always very clear regardless of the colour of the colour behind it:

Ricky Alv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you will get a bunch of different responses when it comes to thumbnails and videos. This stuff is subjective at the end of the day. The main idea I feel you have to deliver in your channel is WHY you do the things that you do. This will develop an emotional connection with people who have the same beliefs at you and then you can receive better constructive feedback that will help your channel more.

Reactions: MedTerms

Xapok

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi,
I want compliment you on the concept here, the promise is clear, the videos don't last too long and I am getting something out of it, learning something new. Well done for that. You have a new suscriber.
Now to answer your question, it got me a while to see what splash you meant :) The word in caps and italic looked like the name of a brand at first. I would make it way bigger. and get rid of all other text. ANTE plus a relevant illustration ,if possible, next to it, and that's it. Simply use the title of the video to go in detail.

My two cents :)

Reactions: tahlia and MedTerms

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yep your breaking a lot of unwritten rules there in graphic design. The thumbnail writing is far too small and thin. Not fit for purpose for a thumbnail image. Also.. black text on tuquose (excuse spelling) doesn't work. Maybe a white block (highlight) behind the text. With heavier text font is all thats needed to fix those thumbnails. The toons /pictures are good otherwise :)
Thanks, the white block you mention, is what I was shooting for with the splash. Guess it's back to the drawing board...[DOUBLEPOST=1528090816,1528090727][/DOUBLEPOST]
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

Yeah I agree with @UhoohExtra

Although thumbnails are created in a big format 1280x720, they are never seen that big. You want them to be clearly visible in the size used in the search results and more importantly in the size used in the "suggested videos" list on the right of the screen.

A good tip for text colours is to use white text with a black outline. That combination is clearly visible on ALL backround colours. That's why it's used on memes. Look at these examples that all use white text with a black outline. Notice how the text is always very clear regardless of the colour of the colour behind it:

I like the idea of white text with black outline. Thanks for the suggestion.[DOUBLEPOST=1528090955][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think you will get a bunch of different responses when it comes to thumbnails and videos. This stuff is subjective at the end of the day. The main idea I feel you have to deliver in your channel is WHY you do the things that you do. This will develop an emotional connection with people who have the same beliefs at you and then you can receive better constructive feedback that will help your channel more.
I hear you. Good point. Ultimately, it's the opinion of the users that matters.[DOUBLEPOST=1528091369][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi,
I want compliment you on the concept here, the promise is clear, the videos don't last too long and I am getting something out of it, learning something new. Well done for that. You have a new suscriber.
Now to answer your question, it got me a while to see what splash you meant :) The word in caps and italic looked like the name of a brand at first. I would make it way bigger. and get rid of all other text. ANTE plus a relevant illustration ,if possible, next to it, and that's it. Simply use the title of the video to go in detail.

My two cents :)
Thank you, and welcome aboard!
You're right about the text needing to be bigger. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Reactions: UhoohExtra