Desperate for help... what do I do with my channel?

elitechic26

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I started YT this past July. I have been struggling to gain subscribers (~90 to date). I posted videos about stuff I wanted to (social justice-related) and struggled for views. Then I posted some videos on skincare/makeup. Now I am deciding what to do next, since I am very discouraged. I was going to start a new channel related to self-help/self-improvement, something I am passionate about, but also add a "What's Trending" category, so that I could do some tentpole/pull-in videos. I am really struggling because I see people doing videos on social justice and what they really want to gaining subscribers at a steady pace, and ALL of the people I am subscribed to and love, usually just post videos they want. I REALLY was avoiding doing makeup, because it is SOOOOO saturated, and I feel like everyone does it. Plus, I feel like, even though I love makeup, and the art of it, I don't want to "waste" my platform, when there is stuff that needs to be discussed. I also am struggling because I see other people these days with their Canon Mark III's and 1080p, and dimmable ring light, etc etc etc and I want that. I'm just losing myself in the numbers game, basically. I am really passionate about YT, though, and am very creative, but it's not showing. I also am a joker in real life, but none of my subscribers know that, since I haven't given myself the "space" to be that person. I am having trouble being true to myself on camera (partly because my family does not support me doing YT videos and bc they know my channel name, they watch and comment, so I feel scared to be myself and say what I really feel)...........(P.S I LOVE WRITING, can you TELL? :p) Please help me :D I will return the favor! :D

Jack Tiong

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't worry that's completely normal. I'm pretty sure most of us here (including myself) are facing the same issues (struggling to get more viewers/subscribers, lost at some point, discouraged and etc.). Well at least you are not alone. Although I'm not a Youtuber with big names but for me I think we need to define our own style in YT. We can learn from the other big Youtubers but we should never mimic their style. Most importantly you need to make videos on the topic that you are interested in instead of just doing it for the sake of viewers/subscribers. In short, just be yourself, do what you love, stay focused and keep grinding.

Stay awesome! :)

Reactions: elitechic26

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I can relate to you somewhat. When I started my channel a couple months ago, it was just an exercise in English. Which I'm bad at... Very quickly I learned the fun of editing. So my videos are just me acting like a moron, effects, and just talking in English. Couldn't really care about the content quality... Then, I started caring a bit about views. So I made a hate video on gamers to stir some drama up. But it doesn't really fit who I am.
Now I'm trying to make a video with decent content. Which, has been "fun" writing, and researching for it (more like a sentimental roller-coaster ) But now, after recording the whole video like 7 times over, in different kinds of voices etc etc, I realized I'm not able to deliver my message. Which made my self esteem plummet quite badly.
My channel was supposed to stay a secret because I'm unreasonably shy. But, a friend found out about it, and immediately showed it to everyone. Now I don't really want to post because they're all waiting, and asking for me to do stupid stuff on camera.
While typing this, I realized I'm falling into the dark spiral of self-conscious shame again. And nothing good ever comes out of that.
I've also realized that there's not a single "true" me. Today I act in one way, tomorrow I'll act differently. What I thought to be the "real" me, was just my boring side.
I refuse to have myself limited by my poor camera. A good singer will be captivating using any microphone. Much like a book is about it's content, and not the cover, or the quality of the paper.

soldatcat

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ah the family bit, I get that. Its awful. Would you think about making another channel? If your family didn't know the namebof it you could post what you want might give you a bit of a confidence boost and maybe the push you need to start on the road to gaining sub's? Idk tbh XD I just think the family part could be a big part of the problem :p

Reactions: elitechic26

elitechic26

Reaction score
Ah the family bit, I get that. Its awful. Would you think about making another channel? If your family didn't know the namebof it you could post what you want might give you a bit of a confidence boost and maybe the push you need to start on the road to gaining sub's? Idk tbh XD I just think the family part could be a big part of the problem :p
Yes. I already have. xD I even got the instagram, twitter, and youtube accounts made for my new channel (tentative). But then I realize that my current 92 subscribers would not know about my new channel, and then I would literally lose them. :p

Reactions: soldatcat

elitechic26

Reaction score
Hey, what's your channel?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEV4Crl4Qe3YUdaN4pMYQ4Q[DOUBLEPOST=1484892864,1484892735][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can relate to you somewhat. When I started my channel a couple months ago, it was just an exercise in English. Which I'm bad at... Very quickly I learned the fun of editing. So my videos are just me acting like a moron, effects, and just talking in English. Couldn't really care about the content quality... Then, I started caring a bit about views. So I made a hate video on gamers to stir some drama up. But it doesn't really fit who I am.
Now I'm trying to make a video with decent content. Which, has been "fun" writing, and researching for it (more like a sentimental roller-coaster ) But now, after recording the whole video like 7 times over, in different kinds of voices etc etc, I realized I'm not able to deliver my message. Which made my self esteem plummet quite badly.
My channel was supposed to stay a secret because I'm unreasonably shy. But, a friend found out about it, and immediately showed it to everyone. Now I don't really want to post because they're all waiting, and asking for me to do stupid stuff on camera.
While typing this, I realized I'm falling into the dark spiral of self-conscious shame again. And nothing good ever comes out of that.
I've also realized that there's not a single "true" me. Today I act in one way, tomorrow I'll act differently. What I thought to be the "real" me, was just my boring side.
I refuse to have myself limited by my poor camera. A good singer will be captivating using any microphone. Much like a book is about it's content, and not the cover, or the quality of the paper.
Thanks for your advice. You're right. I have multiple sides. xD[DOUBLEPOST=1484894461][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't worry that's completely normal. I'm pretty sure most of us here (including myself) are facing the same issues (struggling to get more viewers/subscribers, lost at some point, discouraged and etc.). Well at least you are not alone. Although I'm not a Youtuber with big names but for me I think we need to define our own style in YT. We can learn from the other big Youtubers but we should never mimic their style. Most importantly you need to make videos on the topic that you are interested in instead of just doing it for the sake of viewers/subscribers. In short, just be yourself, do what you love, stay focused and keep grinding.

Stay awesome! :)
Thanks for the advice. I think I am gonna start a new channel and balance tent-pole/pull-in videos with videos I actually want to create, so that I can show different sides of my personality while having fun and growing. :D

chill_bro_videos

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,
I started YT this past July. I have been struggling to gain subscribers (~90 to date). I posted videos about stuff I wanted to (social justice-related) and struggled for views. Then I posted some videos on skincare/makeup. Now I am deciding what to do next, since I am very discouraged. I was going to start a new channel related to self-help/self-improvement, something I am passionate about, but also add a "What's Trending" category, so that I could do some tentpole/pull-in videos. I am really struggling because I see people doing videos on social justice and what they really want to gaining subscribers at a steady pace, and ALL of the people I am subscribed to and love, usually just post videos they want. I REALLY was avoiding doing makeup, because it is SOOOOO saturated, and I feel like everyone does it. Plus, I feel like, even though I love makeup, and the art of it, I don't want to "waste" my platform, when there is stuff that needs to be discussed. I also am struggling because I see other people these days with their Canon Mark III's and 1080p, and dimmable ring light, etc etc etc and I want that. I'm just losing myself in the numbers game, basically. I am really passionate about YT, though, and am very creative, but it's not showing. I also am a joker in real life, but none of my subscribers know that, since I haven't given myself the "space" to be that person. I am having trouble being true to myself on camera (partly because my family does not support me doing YT videos and bc they know my channel name, they watch and comment, so I feel scared to be myself and say what I really feel)...........(P.S I LOVE WRITING, can you TELL? :p) Please help me :D I will return the favor! :D
Why do you have to chose one thing? Do anything you feel like doing. If you want to talk about s**t that pisses you off in the world, talk about it. If you feel like sharing a new eye liner you got, let us know. Just make sure to tell your audience that you channel covers many topics not just one so they understand what's to come! Many people do this.

Have fun. Do what you want to do. People will enjoy you more this way because you are more passionate about doing multiple things, rather than one. Make sense? (e.g. One day, you decide to make a makeup video, however, deep down you want talk about a political movement, you will be less passionate because your heart is not in it, and you audience will be less engaged.)

You're subscriber count will increase once you great more 'wow' videos that people share. This is what people struggle with most, and probably what your facing. Think of ways to awe your audience so that they share your videos and you can build a following. I'm reading a book called 'Contagious' by Jonah Berger which talks about just that: How to get people to share content. Start being a student of YouTube and master the craft.

Making good content with good keywords and a catchy thumbnail, is not enough. You need to understand why people share content to build a large following. Start learning.

soldatcat

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes. I already have. xD I even got the instagram, twitter, and youtube accounts made for my new channel (tentative). But then I realize that my current 92 subscribers would not know about my new channel, and then I would literally lose them. :p
That makes sense :) I hope the family problem works out!