Depression + YouTube / Face reveal

Premeseagry

Reaction score
Hi guys. Me again. I wanted to ask you something..

I'm diagnossed with depression for a long time. I'm thinking about starting side YT channel just to talk about it. I'm not really sure how people will react on that, so I don't know if I should do it. I wanna help people, just like my YT idols helped me. I wanna change the world.. if I can't change world, then I would like just to change 1 life.

Other thing I wanted to talk about is my face reveal. I still haven't done it. I'm not sure if I wanna be anonymous or do I wanna know that people know about me.

I'm not the most happiest person at the time, and I really don't need to people start laughing about me.

Tnx for your answers and opinions. :)

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I have depression and social anxiety. The reason why I haven't started YouTube years ago was because I was afraid of judgement and what people would say, afraid people wouldn't like me or wouldn't care. But how I got over that fear was actually being inspired by Walt Disney's story on how many times he was rejected on creating Disneyland. Every single person told him it was a dumb idea and that nobody would go there, but look now it's one of the most successful theme parks. I decided to just go for it and not let anyone stop me. After doing YouTube for a couple months now I can say both depression and social anxiety are significantly less. The more I talk to the camera the better I get at talking. I am the happiest when I'm creating videos.
I want to be able to get big one day and help someone like me who truly felt that things would never get better.
Advice for you is to follow your dreams and do what you love and what your passionate about. And never let anyone else tell you you can't do something :)

Reactions: Sabrina and AntoNeo

Kaitlyn Moore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
That's so inspiring!!! I'm very proud of you :)
xoxo Kaitlyn

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have depression and social anxiety. The reason why I haven't started YouTube years ago was because I was afraid of judgement and what people would say, afraid people wouldn't like me or wouldn't care. But how I got over that fear was actually being inspired by Walt Disney's story on how many times he was rejected on creating Disneyland. Every single person told him it was a dumb idea and that nobody would go there, but look now it's one of the most successful theme parks. I decided to just go for it and not let anyone stop me. After doing YouTube for a couple months now I can say both depression and social anxiety are significantly less. The more I talk to the camera the better I get at talking. I am the happiest when I'm creating videos.
I want to be able to get big one day and help someone like me who truly felt that things would never get better.
Advice for you is to follow your dreams and do what you love and what your passionate about. And never let anyone else tell you you can't do something :)

I agree, kinda in the same boat, only been doing it two months. Got so much more to add and do but my biggest problem is my parents, they don't support this at all, want out in the real world, getting a real job where my depression would no doubt get even worse. Took me a long time to get out of this hole I've been stuck in, every job i did, my stress would get worse, depression would get worse and I'd end up self harming actually at work. One day i quit and did a trip of a lifetime, havent worked since but now wanting to use my creative side which has always been pushed away as people around me say your not good enough or only certain people make it in the industry, basically saying im no one and should settle for min wage work for the rest of my life. No thanks, not me, that actually makes me really ill.Trying to improve my videos, need a new camera though this will do for now, need to improve a lot on my videos. hate the sound of my voice so changed the speed.
I wanna make a career but its so hard, its hard to make videos when people are in the house, like today for example, was home alone and ended up filming 3 videos worth but i don't wanna be stuck doing that all the time. Trying so hard to follow my dreams but so much pressure from people to go back to work, i do that i wont be making videos as id be too depressed to even think of doing anything when i get in.

AntoNeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys. Me again. I wanted to ask you something..

I'm diagnossed with depression for a long time. I'm thinking about starting side YT channel just to talk about it. I'm not really sure how people will react on that, so I don't know if I should do it. I wanna help people, just like my YT idols helped me. I wanna change the world.. if I can't change world, then I would like just to change 1 life.

Other thing I wanted to talk about is my face reveal. I still haven't done it. I'm not sure if I wanna be anonymous or do I wanna know that people know about me.

I'm not the most happiest person at the time, and I really don't need to people start laughing about me.

Tnx for your answers and opinions. :)
Yes! Me too! I've had anxiety/depression as well and this year I started a Youtube channel just to feel better by expanding my comfort zone. Although I'm not comfortable on camera, I think it's just by being consistent and practicing talking to your camera. A trick I just discovered today, which is not for the faint-of-heart because it freaks me out so much but I did it anyway, I went on Live.Me which is a Live Stream app and just waited for people to start watching (which takes a few seconds) and I started babbling and saying hi to the new visitors and I slowly got comfortable enough watching myself and once I end it, I felt so at ease with talking to my camera.

Revealing your face: I had this fear too, since my teeth are crooked, and because I don't want to be known as "the anxiety youtuber/expert" because I'm much more than that, I like to draw, write, etc, and would love to do random stuff like Jenna Marbles does instead of just being known for my anxiety videos, but then I realized that a lot of people go thru what I've gone thru, and showing my face makes it more personal and relatable and I can talk about mental health and socializing in a fun and entertaining way like Jenna does lol duh!

And last night actually, I was looking at my analytics, because I've been trying to find my target audience/demographic, and turns out that the ONLY video (out of all 6) that gets likes, comments, and views is the one where I talk about being a Shy Extrovert, I guess it's because I'm more authentic because it's not scripted, I enjoyed talking about it, and I don't seem tense like my recent one lol. So knowing that, I looked a bit closer that my viewers, and turns out it's 18-24 year old females, so I'm currently trying to find a way to cater to them while talking about my social anxiety issues in a funny entertaining way

Point of my long reply: Don't think to much of it, I haven't had any negative comments yet (I guess it's because I'm a small channel) ....hope this helped

Reactions: Sabrina

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes! Me too! I've had anxiety/depression as well and this year I started a Youtube channel just to feel better by expanding my comfort zone. Although I'm not comfortable on camera, I think it's just by being consistent and practicing talking to your camera. A trick I just discovered today, which is not for the faint-of-heart because it freaks me out so much but I did it anyway, I went on Live.Me which is a Live Stream app and just waited for people to start watching (which takes a few seconds) and I started babbling and saying hi to the new visitors and I slowly got comfortable enough watching myself and once I end it, I felt so at ease with talking to my camera.

Revealing your face: I had this fear too, since my teeth are crooked, and because I don't want to be known as "the anxiety youtuber/expert" because I'm much more than that, I like to draw, write, etc, and would love to do random stuff like Jenna Marbles does instead of just being known for my anxiety videos, but then I realized that a lot of people go thru what I've gone thru, and showing my face makes it more personal and relatable and I can talk about mental health and socializing in a fun and entertaining way like Jenna does lol duh!

And last night actually, I was looking at my analytics, because I've been trying to find my target audience/demographic, and turns out that the ONLY video (out of all 6) that gets likes, comments, and views is the one where I talk about being a Shy Extrovert, I guess it's because I'm more authentic because it's not scripted, I enjoyed talking about it, and I don't seem tense like my recent one lol. So knowing that, I looked a bit closer that my viewers, and turns out it's 18-24 year old females, so I'm currently trying to find a way to cater to them while talking about my social anxiety issues in a funny entertaining way

Point of my long reply: Don't think to much of it, I haven't had any negative comments yet (I guess it's because I'm a small channel) ....hope this helped
I tried telling the parents doing youtube is actually a good thing for someone, not only does it force us to come out of our shell, it gives us a reason to get up every morning, it encourages to change, to talk more about how we feel. Maybe one day it might earn me some money as the confidence builds but for now, its helping me. For a lot of people who don't understand depression, anxiety, there is no quick fix, its not an overnight solution, there isnt a switch in my head i can suddenly turn on by speaking to a professional. I have spoke to a retired professional and they told me carry on doing what I'm doing cuz thats exactly what they'd encourage me to do.. Its hard, knowing what makes me worse and having people around pushing me to go back to those things. Its like you want me to be better, yet you push me in the wrong way. Really wanna increase my views, done like 20 videos and get an average of 2-3 views which is pretty pathetic

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I agree, kinda in the same boat, only been doing it two months. Got so much more to add and do but my biggest problem is my parents, they don't support this at all, want out in the real world, getting a real job where my depression would no doubt get even worse. Took me a long time to get out of this hole I've been stuck in, every job i did, my stress would get worse, depression would get worse and I'd end up self harming actually at work. One day i quit and did a trip of a lifetime, havent worked since but now wanting to use my creative side which has always been pushed away as people around me say your not good enough or only certain people make it in the industry, basically saying im no one and should settle for min wage work for the rest of my life. No thanks, not me, that actually makes me really ill.Trying to improve my videos, need a new camera though this will do for now, need to improve a lot on my videos. hate the sound of my voice so changed the speed.
I wanna make a career but its so hard, its hard to make videos when people are in the house, like today for example, was home alone and ended up filming 3 videos worth but i don't wanna be stuck doing that all the time. Trying so hard to follow my dreams but so much pressure from people to go back to work, i do that i wont be making videos as id be too depressed to even think of doing anything when i get in.
Your doing your best, as long as you know our putting in all the effort and hard work anything is possible. I hate retail jobs for min wage I had such a toxic one that I'm quitting this week and Ive been so happy. I know I can't work for retail or corporate that's not for me. It's going to be hard making money from YouTube I'm only making 7 cents and I haven't even seen those in my bank at all lol. Sometimes you need to find a job that one won't take up all the time and two will provide you money to buy stuff like a camera etc. I hope that you'll be able to make through this because depression is seriously a pain and no one should have to go through it

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your doing your best, as long as you know our putting in all the effort and hard work anything is possible. I hate retail jobs for min wage I had such a toxic one that I'm quitting this week and Ive been so happy. I know I can't work for retail or corporate that's not for me. It's going to be hard making money from YouTube I'm only making 7 cents and I haven't even seen those in my bank at all lol. Sometimes you need to find a job that one won't take up all the time and two will provide you money to buy stuff like a camera etc. I hope that you'll be able to make through this because depression is seriously a pain and no one should have to go through it
Thanks, its hard finding anything round here for work, i can generate some money online but its nowhere near enough with match betting but that can take up time as well and once the bookies cotton on to what your doing, you get restricted so cant make as much now.
I do want to work and earn money but its avoiding the places that make my health worse, their not worth doing. I got so many ideas for movies, tv, books, games, websites, etc, just getting those ideas heard by the right people. For all i know i could be sat on the next big thing

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
As someone who has dealt with social anxiety. I can say with 100% confidence that the best way to overcome your fears is to just take action. I know easier said than done, but I find that at least for me, the longer I sit around and think about doing something I'm afraid of, the more I build it up in my head and get all worked up about it.

If you want to start a Youtube channel, than just start making videos. Have some fun with it, because making videos is actually really fun. I was pretty afraid of making a Youtube channel. Eventually I stopped thinking about it and just did it. I'm glad I did. I use to be so uncomfortable talking to the camera, now I really enjoy it.

So, again I would say that if you want to make a Youtube channel, than just go for it.

Reactions: AntoNeo