demonetized = Bad for small channels?

Sam Lyon

Reaction score
So people are starting to say if you get demonetized, you actually get less views (or not showcased in suggested as much etc).

This obviously makes sense. Youtube wants ad revenue, and they cant achieve that with demonetized videos. So they will prioritize videos that can make them money.

With that being said, wouldn't they treat channels with under 10,000 views the same way? If smaller channels cannot run ads on videos, doesn't that tell the algorithm they aren't suitable for a boost in search rankings? (in theory)

Which brings me to my next point; would this mean a possible boost in channel growth after the 10,000 views mark? Meaning it would be smart to promote your videos to that threshold, in order to insure faster growth?

This is all speculation, i just wanted to get your guys's opinion on the matter.

Cheers!

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As far as I'm concerned Youtube have always prioritised monetised videos over non monetised. I tried this in 2010 (i know things may have changed slightly since then) when I put basically the same video on 2 channels that I had control over. One was monetised, they other wasn't. The monetised video got 4 times as many views in a 14 day period than the non monetised video.
They are a business and their business is serving ads on videos in order to get paid. It makes perfect sense that they would want to push videos that they can make money from over the content that they can't.
They won't admit to that who are they going to answer to if someone pulls them up on it?

Sam Lyon

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned Youtube have always prioritised monetised videos over non monetised. I tried this in 2010 (i know things may have changed slightly since then) when I put basically the same video on 2 channels that I had control over. One was monetised, they other wasn't. The monetised video got 4 times as many views in a 14 day period than the non monetised video.
They are a business and their business is serving ads on videos in order to get paid. It makes perfect sense that they would want to push videos that they can make money from over the content that they can't.
They won't admit to that who are they going to answer to if someone pulls them up on it?
this is all true. I just wonder if they categorize channels under 10,000 views as a form of "demonization"

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can't be sure but it wouldn't surprise me.
they will look at it as probably only 1 in 50 of those channels will ever make it to 10,000 views so don't waste time on them, the cream will rise to the top naturally.

Reactions: Sam Lyon

LIVEst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
I'm approaching my first 1K. Had Adsense account from the last project. Hope to get 10K in the next year and see if the monetization will help to grow my channel.

Reactions: Sam Lyon

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
You can't base anything on one test. I've uploaded hundreds of videos and have never experienced a video picking up steam because I decided to monetize it.

TheMaskedTruth

Reaction score
Demonetizing is bad for all channels I assure you. Everyone is being hit at a ridiculous rate. May be worse for small channels for obvious reasons.