Deleting A Video During An Ongoing Third Party Matched Content Dispute?

FuzzyHead

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all

I've recently had a third party matched content warning on a piece of original ambient music that I created myself. Trouble is, it does contain a small sample of a bird tweet (it's only 3 seconds long) & YouTube have matched it to a wildlife recording. I didn't sample it from that, so I (maybe foolishly) disputed the claim & I've now got to wait until the middle of October for a response.

My question is, can I just delete the video & forget about it even though the dispute is ongoing?

I just want to get the music `out there' & I can easily remove the sample & publish a new video, but I'm concerned that deleting the video while the dispute is ongoing might harm my channel's rep ... I'm guessing it won't, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks for any help.

Fuzzy.

Oops, forgot to mention ...

The disputed video was never published, it's still sitting in my video manger as unlisted .. dunno if that helps?

James Skintauy

Reaction score
I am trying to bump this to get a response. I would love to know the answer to this!

FuzzyHead

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi James, my disputed claim was successful in the end, so I guess we'll never know.

In the last 6 weeks I've uploaded 18 videos & 7 of them have been flagged as third party matched content. I've successfully disputed all of them, but it's annoying & time consuming to have to go through the process every time.

My advice would be to publish all new videos as unlisted, if the third party matched content warning pops up, keep it unlisted until the dispute is settled.

Hopefully that might provide a bit of a safety net, but then again, it's YouTube .. so!?!

James Skintauy

Reaction score
Hi Fuzzy,

Thanks for your response. I do like the idea of keeping the videos unlisted until all disputes are resolved.
Do you know what happens if you simply delete a video while its being disputed and then upload it with different music that hasn't been flagged in the past? I don't like the idea of waiting and waiting while "they" figure it out.

FuzzyHead

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately not, that was my original questions & I'm still no the wiser .. but in terms of waiting times over a dispute, all 7 of mine have been sorted out really quickly.

I've heard people moan about having to wait ages, but most of my disputes were sorted out within a couple of hours & the longest I've had to wait is about a week ... maybe I've just been lucky?

I do know what you mean tho, all my music is original, but I still get nervous disputing a claim.

Zeff Zane

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think there is a limit 1 month to answer or dispute - So you were lucky :)