Decent Video Cameras on a Budget?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So, I've recently been looking into getting a camera. Not a webcam, but a handheld camera that a Vlogger would use, for example. In the upcoming future, I want to make a music video. Maybe not a studio-quality music video like you'd get from Eminem or any other real musical artist, but something that at least looks decent and doesn't look like it was filmed with a potato. And yes, I'm probably going to buy a tripod, as well. My YouTube budget is $300 per month, and I want to get the music video filmed and recorded by the end of December, so my budget is currently $300. Getting to the point, what video cameras would you recommend under that? Thank you!

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Do you have a smartphone? Any recent smartphone will contend with entry level "camera-cameras"

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I highly recommend an entry level Nikon DSLR, specifically the D3000x line. I'm pretty sure you can find a Nikon D3100 for $300 or Under.

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Do you have a smartphone? Any recent smartphone will contend with entry level "camera-cameras"
That is very true. Smartphone cameras are a lot better than most people would think. But I have a pretty cheap smartphone. It's an LG that I bought for about $30. The camera is only the back as well. So it can't even take a selfie easily. It also has very little memory, so in addition to it looking awkward, it won't be able hold much of it until I buy an SD card. But even then, I don't think it'd be worth it as opposed to getting an actual camera with a tripod.

I highly recommend an entry level Nikon DSLR, specifically the D3000x line. I'm pretty sure you can find a Nikon D3100 for $300 or Under.
Thank you! I'm definitely considering that now. The ones I can find are almost exactly $300, which I can afford, but I'd hope to at least have a little more wiggle-room. I also found some used ones on eBay for nearly half the price, but I'm not sure exactly how much I trust them.. But it's very likely I'll probably go with that and I definitely like a lot of the specs.

Reaction score
The best youtube camera is really going to depend on a few things but in any case, $300 isn't a lot of room to work with. If you can squeeze a few extra dollars into the budget than get something like the Canon G7 MKii. You also don't really need to buy something new which should save a few bucks.

Since you are shooting a music video you will probably need a gimbal so you should factor that into your budget also.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't forget to consider purchasing a second hand camera. You may find yourself being able to buy something with little use that packs more punch that what you could get for $300 new. Will probably even come with extras! Done it a fair few times myself now.

Reactions: zhkopec