Dealing with Youtube negativity

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
In my opinion, we are humans, we have dreams, passions and goals. Off course we are all impatient to get what we want.
However, People shouldn't complain abt not getting views or subs, in fact, they should take YOUTUBE as fun, bcz that fun can eventually become a career. I dont wanna blame people for complaining though.

PallenTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
you get a lot of people that assume that you tube is magical.
They post 1 video every 6 months and get upset that they aren't the next Pewdiepie or Zoella. People just dont seem to understand that you-tube is a job. It takes hard work, commitment and a lot of grind. Even those that 'blew up' all put tons of effort into their channel every day. Just enjoy it, take very day as it comes, and just have small goals at first. Dont expect to get 1k subs in the first month people!
I think the Key thing is to stay positive. celebrate your own milestones, no matter how small they are (for example I am super hyped to be 1 sub away from 160). Is it a huge achievement in the grand scale of things? No! but for me it is. If you were to sit 160 people in a room- that is actually a lot of people.

Youtube has a way of making people setting unrealistic expectations. The reality is you may make awesome content, but the chances of it becoming a full time job are slim. Just enjoy what you are doing and do it for yourself, people will come but it will take time. Viewers arent idiots, they can tell who is just doing this for the money and who is generally loving making videos.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
Honestly you are completely right, but I also think this applies to a lot of other social media as well. Especially Instagram and stuff like that. People are just trying to make money and get fame. It's hard to tell whose being genuine anymore. I'm still having a hard time finding Youtube friends who are passionate about their craft but not begging for subs every day.
Social media is so tough now.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Honestly you are completely right, but I also think this applies to a lot of other social media as well. Especially Instagram and stuff like that. People are just trying to make money and get fame. It's hard to tell whose being genuine anymore. I'm still having a hard time finding Youtube friends who are passionate about their craft but not begging for subs every day.
Social media is so tough now.
I can imagine :/ I'm not really a social media person (I have FB, but that's it), because I just can't keep up with multiple platforms. People seem so eager to get attention that they seem to forget how those Instagrammers and Youtubers got big in the first place; by loving what they do and doing it in a very good way!

Zenvious

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Other
I can imagine :/ I'm not really a social media person (I have FB, but that's it), because I just can't keep up with multiple platforms. People seem so eager to get attention that they seem to forget how those Instagrammers and Youtubers got big in the first place; by loving what they do and doing it in a very good way!
I'm similar. I'd never even touched twitter before starting my channel.

I'd say many people have said and covered all that needs be discussed. There are people who are fixated on money, only to discover Youtube takes effort. There are people who are fixated on gaining attention, only to (again) REALIZE YOUTUBE TAKES EFFORT!!

I'd say the negativity is becoming prevalent because the wave of New Tubers is starting to disperse. The first wave of uploaders were doing it for fun - and then they started to make money out of it.

The second sniffed the money and so came running into with expectations of greed - and discovered the illusion of ease was hiding the hard effort. So they're getting pissy cause they can't understand why so less talented people can make money, while they cannot (failing to see the bigger picture).

I actually take heart to this (coming back to your original question - how to deal with the negativity). Many of these "new-tubers" are quitting. And I say thats a good thing! And I say that knowing some of these were people I respected, admired, and even considered friends.

Because in the end, the people who become successful in youtube (and are admired) usually seem to have some similar characteristics:

1) They don't stop learning or stop looking for ways to improve their channels
2) They don't do it for money; they do it cause they enjoy the results they produce
3) They DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY (it needs be repeated - many accept its a side project while they work a full time job).
4) They don't give up outright - they may take a pause, but they never throw in the towel

So I say accept the negativity. Use it to compare yourself to them. Be selfish and use their cries as a way of feeling arrogant and superior. You make videos cause you enjoy making them. You enjoy the few comments you get. You enjoy knowing people appreciate your art.

Just keep being the person you are. Aim to be unique. Aim to provide something to the world no one else can. And, in time, you may consider trying something and it may go viral and lead to some success.

So in summary - turn it around. Make their pain your pleasure. Gain strength from their suffering. JOIN THE DARKSIDE (we have cookies!)

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you for your elaborate reply Zenvious! You make some good points. I'll try to not let the negativity affect me. I just find it so weird that people don't realize how much work it is to shoot videos, to edit and to maintain a channel. I mean, I know what I'm getting into, but how can other people miss this? n.n"

Zenvious

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Other
Thank you for your elaborate reply Zenvious! You make some good points. I'll try to not let the negativity affect me. I just find it so weird that people don't realize how much work it is to shoot videos, to edit and to maintain a channel. I mean, I know what I'm getting into, but how can other people miss this? n.n"
As a qualified teacher (who has given up on that industry), I can share your confusion of "how do they not get this?" Believe me, meeting multiple students and asking how they don't know some basic sentence structure at a high school level is mind blowing :p

Some people won't understand it. Even I, who consider myself a rather deep intellectual, will admit I don't know all of what I want to know. I would love my channel to grow faster, and I'm trying new methods to do so, but I clearly haven't found the missing ingredient I need to go from here to there at a more accelerated pace.

I certainly don't encourage comparisons of self to others, but I do encourage comparisons of self to personal past. Focus more on what you have done to develop yourself over what others have achieved.

In the 2.4 years I've been uploading, I have learned:
- How to use Audacity to improve Vocal Quality
- What SEO stands for
- How to improve my SEO (.... somewhat... still lacking in this area)
- How to setup a greenscreen
- How to use Chromakey in Premire Pro
- That there is a difference between Chromakey and Ultrakey :p
- How to create Thumbnails
- Why you don't want details in the lower right corner of a Thumbnail (stupid timecode)
- What games I like to play publically
- How often I used to say "ummm" and "ahh"
- How to STOP saying "ummm" and "ahhh" so often
- What the FX symbol in Photoshop is for
- HOW AWESOME USING THE FX SYMBOL IN PHOTOSHOP IS FOR MAKING THUMBNAILS EVEN BETTER
- How many good people are out there trying to do the same
- How good I am at playing video games
- How good I am at making up stories and puns

And a pile more...

Focus not on what you've not yet achieved, and look instead on what you've done. If you feel its not enough, ask yourself "what could I do to make this better?" and then go out and find out how to achieve that improvement.

Point is, yes negativity exists. I even suffer depression and anxiety. I doubt my work ALL the time! And atop that, I get people sending me trolling comments of "you should be more like pewdiepie" and "you're over 30 and do this? you should review you life" and the most recent "using a frame on your video is a no go. Don't do it" (that last one was from someone who hasn't even uploaded anything!).

Being someone who is even gaining some level of success in youtube will gain you envy from other people. The headspace is essentially "how DARE you prove to me that you are brave enough to do something I'm to scared to even attempt!"

Try to see the negativity for what it is. Its not you. If you are making work you are proud of, you'll find people who appreciate what you do. Its all a matter of time, patience, and perseverance :)