Dealing with Youtube negativity

Minky Toy

Reaction score
I don't completely agree with this. Youtube is a business, not a communistic platform. They don't have the obligation to make sure everyone who uses their services has the same chances a making it big. I do think they should be much more open in their communication and algorithems, but they have no obligation at all to cater evenly to all their users. They actually set up quite a clear division about what they can offer to which kind of creaters (a bit sad that you just don't really count under 10k subs, but eyy, you can't have everything).
Good points. However, once people get a sense the game is "rigged" in any way due to any covert or nefarious purposes, you start losing integrity and trust in the system and you won't find any more new creators joining your platform. It's a fine line and balance. I'm not challenging those who bring real $ to youtube are favored cos yes, as you mention it's a business. That's expected and should be something people should strive to achieve.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Good points. However, once people get a sense the game is "rigged" in any way due to any covert or nefarious purposes, you start losing integrity and trust in the system and you won't find any more new creators joining your platform. It's a fine line and balance. I'm not challenging those who bring real $ to youtube are favored cos yes, as you mention it's a business. That's expected and should be something people should strive to achieve.
Yeah, I do get the feeling that often people feel like Youtube isn't fair (hence all the negativity) and I think that this is mostly due to their poor communication. I mean, I wouldn't mail Youtube, because I already get the feeling they won't reply. They might need to work on their helpdesk skills xD

Reactions: Mr.Human

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was pretty active in the Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) forums a while ago. That's where self-published authors hang out, trying to make their living publishing ebooks on Amazon. The issues raised there are very similar to Youtube, the bitterness is the same. Ebook sales down, bad reviews, Amazon removinge books, Amazon deleting whole author accounts, Amazon censoring, Amazon dropping revenue, missing payments, etc, etc. There are those who write for the love and the art, and those who jump in and want to know how to make a living with a few ebooks. It's so similar to Youtube it's funny. It's human nature, everywhere you look online, it's the same - Amazon. Youtube, Ebay, anywhere where $$$ is involved, if they can't get rich quick they get bitter, if their revenue is affected they get bitter, if they don't find instant success they get bitter. It's always Amazon's fault, the Amazon recommendation algo is broken, etc etc. How to deal with it? Don't read the threads.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Some people jump on the YouTube bandwagon thinking it's an easy way to earn money. Soon they realize it's actually a lot of hard work, and they complain that the system working against them.... Plus, it's been Summer Break for students, and the spam is always elevated by a few magnitudes during the school breaks... x_x School is about to start, so the spam should die down soon. If you see someone on YTtalk promoting their channel or asking for subscribers, please report the thread / post! We don't allow those threads because this forum is supposed to be about sharing ideas on out how to grow a YouTube channel properly rather than asking the forum members to grow the channel for you. The staff look through as many threads as we can, but reported threads really help! :)

IMO, some people just join YouTube and this forum with the wrong mindset.... Most people on this forum are perfectly fine and good contributing members -- there's just a small group of folks that keep the mods busy and frustrated lol.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think the internet makes it look really easy to "make it" on any number of creative pursuits. Back in the day (and by "the day," I mean the mid-late 90s), if you put up a blog that had any sort of regular schedule, you could make at least about $100/month from AdWords advertising. Just pop a few ads on your page and write whatever you wanted, and you got some cash. Then advertisers realized that they weren't reaching paying customers so much as spamming all over the place, and that revenue went away. People were FURIOUS, because they had MADE A LIVING AT THIS and it was UNFAIR and, and, and...

Now comes YouTube, which has held onto the "put up whatever and make a bunch of money at it" narrative for a lot longer than I really expected. They're finally evolving into an entertainment company that is held accountable to their advertisers, and those advertisers really don't see the value in having ads on videos that aren't really resonating with their audience. And once again, the creators are yelling FOUL and RIGGED and WHY DOES GOOGLE HATE SMALL CREATORS???!!

It's always the same thing. I find that any community is what you make it. I've been on YTTalk for a minute, and there are some great discussions to be had. You just have to bypass the people who either want to spam or kvetch and you find some really quality people, including some of the very people on this thread! We're around, we just need to find one another and keep talking. :)

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's human nature, everywhere you look online, it's the same - Amazon. Youtube, Ebay, anywhere where $$$ is involved, if they can't get rich quick they get bitter, if their revenue is affected they get bitter, if they don't find instant success they get bitter. It's always Amazon's fault, the Amazon recommendation algo is broken, etc etc. How to deal with it? Don't read the threads.
Oh, I never really thought about that. Crazy that it is so similar xD

IMO, some people just join YouTube and this forum with the wrong mindset.... Most people on this forum are perfectly fine and good contributing members -- there's just a small group of folks that keep the mods busy and frustrated lol.
Haha, I'm a seasoned forum user and I know the pain :p I'll assist you as much as I can! And good to know the flood dies down a bit after the vacation.

It's always the same thing. I find that any community is what you make it. I've been on YTTalk for a minute, and there are some great discussions to be had. You just have to bypass the people who either want to spam or kvetch and you find some really quality people, including some of the very people on this thread! We're around, we just need to find one another and keep talking. :)
Good input, I think you're absolutely right about the 'quick money' thing. And yes, I noticed! I'll do my best to contributed to this community as well n.n

Reactions: KatyAdelson

3rdepsilon

Reaction score
i guess it all comes down to people wanting to be successful at something they care about and them not reaching goals causes frustration and sites like these are or can be used as an outlet to say "where am i going wrong" which isn't a bad thing because everyone needs help from time to time but i do agree, a lot of people do get to serious about youtube when its meant to be a fun experience instead of i must get to 100 subscribers by next week for example. i think people need to push through the hard times and expect one day it will get easier.

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
I must admit, when you wrote this post it took me by surprise that I hadn't noticed such a degree of negativity, but you are correct.

I think the reason i hadn't noticed is because for maybe a decade i played World of Warcraft. You think this is negative? That's like this forum dialed up to 20.

Funnily enough I think of YouTube almost like an MMO game like WOW. You start at level 1, you get experience, you grind, you get known, etc.

On WOWs forums you can imagine the moaning : "my class has been unfairly victimised by the devs! How can I compete! " etc

So yeah, exactly the same. In general, people are more likely to take action to moan about something, than to praise. So forums are full of negativity.

I always try to be positive and uplifting or helpful in my posts. Otherwise, why bother? :)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Youtube is a business, not a communistic platform. They don't have the obligation to make sure everyone who uses their services has the same chances a making it big. I do think they should be much more open in their communication and algorithems, but they have no obligation at all to cater evenly to all their users. They actually set up quite a clear division about what they can offer to which kind of creaters (a bit sad that you just don't really count under 10k subs, but eyy, you can't have everything).
Spot on. It is a business, and it is a based on an algorithm. Derral Eves recently posted an excellent video in which he says that many people talk about YouTube as if there is a man behind a curtain that pulls levers and turns wheels, as if a group of people are watching every single video and deciding whether it should be favoured or not. Clearly this is not the case, and a content creator will have more success if he tries to understand how the algorithm is designed to work. If your video is not getting as many views as you would like it has absolutely nothing to do with some guy at YouTube who doesn't like the look of your face...it is just the algorithm doing it's job. In the video he also agreed with your comment that it would be great if YouTube were a little more communicative about the algorithm and changes they make to it.
Now comes YouTube, which has held onto the "put up whatever and make a bunch of money at it" narrative for a lot longer than I really expected. They're finally evolving into an entertainment company that is held accountable to their advertisers, and those advertisers really don't see the value in having ads on videos that aren't really resonating with their audience. And once again, the creators are yelling FOUL and RIGGED and WHY DOES GOOGLE HATE SMALL CREATORS???!!
Dude...you have a way of hitting the nail on the head with some of your posts!

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@Odabaca: Oooh, I can imagine! I've never plyed MMO's myself, but I have heard about it a lot. I kinda lines up with what Kiddie said about Amazon books. It really seems to be a bit of human nature n.n"

If your video is not getting as many views as you would like it has absolutely nothing to do with some guy at YouTube who doesn't like the look of your face...it is just the algorithm doing it's job.
Hahaha, beautiful way of describing this xD I think people expect Youtube to a much more personal platform than it actually is. I mean, it's kinda just a hosting platform with an automated helpdesk n.n"