Davinci resolve

FrankDoorhof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
I see a lot of questions about editing software.
For years I've been editing on the Mac with fcpx and because we are switching to pcs I had to find an alternative and although I'm a huge adobe fanboy, premiere just doesn't cut it (pun intended) for me.

I ended up with the free davinci resolve and must say that it blew me away. Amazing options that rival premiere and even fcpx. All for free. And it's very very fast.

So make sure to check it out.
It's on pc and Mac.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I love it too, the context aware cursor is so awesome and I love the color correction and grading tools it has. The main reason I haven't switched to Resolve as my daily driver is the After Effects integration in Premiere Pro.

I think with Resolve you'd have to always render the After Effects to a video and then import again, but with Premiere you can just expose text or do changes in general inside After Effects and they show up in Premiere.

Still, once my student CC suite ends, I'll probably do the switch over entirely.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
But is it as good as Windows Movie Maker?

Reactions: Brandon

FrankDoorhof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Movie maker i never looked at to be honest. Don't know if it does multicam for example.

You can slingshot to premiere from resolve maybe that works for you.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
But is it as good as Windows Movie Maker?
I haven't used Windows Movie Maker in a while, but I have to say that unless Movie Maker has improved a ton in the past few years it's nowhere close. However, for a beginner and who doesn't want to go deep into editing and color correcting and grading Movie Maker might be the better choice.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Am I the only one who was 99% sure Evo wasn't being serious with that comment?

Frank, what makes this software better than Premiere, in your opnioion? I'm an Adobe fanboy myself and can't see myself ever moving away from their line up.

Reactions: sipilatommi

FrankDoorhof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Rendering speed
Color correction
The way you can manipulate clips on the timeline.

I'm a huge fan of fcpx and the magnetic timeline. Resolve has something similar where you can really play with your clips by moving them under or over. It's a bit weird at first but I love it just as much as the magnetic time line in fcpx.

Premiere I like a lot but it's so incredibly slow when you compare it to resolve and fcpx.

I edit almost daily and often in situations where literally every minute saved is a blessing and resolve and fcpx are incredible fast.