Daily Upload or Daily Publish?

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've wondered about that too, as it sometimes seems that videos I've scheduled more than a day in advance don't seem to do as well, but that isn't a scientific sample. Also, I am rarely able to get more than a day ahead! I would really hope they're going by publishing date and not upload date, as that would make a lot more sense.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've wondered about that too, as it sometimes seems that videos I've scheduled more than a day in advance don't seem to do as well, but that isn't a scientific sample. Also, I am rarely able to get more than a day ahead! I would really hope they're going by publishing date and not upload date, as that would make a lot more sense.
Right? I uploaded and immediately published a video at 10:00 am on the 24th. It got 120+ views by the end of the first day. I uploaded a video on the 14th, and scheduled it to post this morning (the 27th) at 10:00am. Only about 50 views by the end of the day. I realize this is a terribly small sample size from a very small channel. But it would be nice to know if it's a real thing or not.

Reactions: babyteeth4

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
From all that I have heard, YouTube doesn't start analyzing the video until you launch it.

On a similar note, if you have a popular video and decide to unlist it for awhile, when you make it public again, YouTube will reconsider that video's standings. That means that you might destroy the traction that the video once had.

But I have a question. So, the first 24-48 hours after uploading or after publishing are the most important? I just heard a rumor that YouTube's algorithm looks how well your video does the first day or two after uploading. This would mean that if I upload a video today, and schedule it for next week, YT would think that the video has no traction, and therefore wouldn't promote it. Because no one would be looking at it for a whole week until it was published.

Does that make sense? Does anyone know anything about this: whether upload date or publish date is more important?

Ryan ToysReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For us, we have always scheduled videos 1-2 weeks in advance. Sometimes there videos that I kept pushing the publish dates back for various reasons. I don't think the so call video decay starts until it's published. We have videos that does well even thou it been uploaded 3 weeks in advance, and videos that did horrible when it's published immediately and vise versa.

GeekCheese

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Right now I have 11 videos scheduled. So, I'm set through September 1st. It took me a long time to be able to get ahead, though.

But I have a question. So, the first 24-48 hours after uploading or after publishing are the most important? I just heard a rumor that YouTube's algorithm looks how well your video does the first day or two after uploading. This would mean that if I upload a video today, and schedule it for next week, YT would think that the video has no traction, and therefore wouldn't promote it. Because no one would be looking at it for a whole week until it was published.

Does that make sense? Does anyone know anything about this: whether upload date or publish date is more important?
I doubt YT considers uploaded videos into the algorithm. I imagine it only worries about published videos that viewers can actually watch. If not, then that is a major malfunction.

Reactions: Bennett's Playtime

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
For us, we have always scheduled videos 1-2 weeks in advance. Sometimes there videos that I kept pushing the publish dates back for various reasons. I don't think the so call video decay starts until it's published. We have videos that does well even thou it been uploaded 3 weeks in advance, and videos that did horrible when it's published immediately and vise versa.
I doubt YT considers uploaded videos into the algorithm. I imagine it only worries about published videos that viewers can actually watch. If not, then that is a major malfunction.
Thanks for this GeekCheese and Ryan ToysReview. I did think it would be weird if it worked that way, but there's so many rumors about different things it seems like you never know what YT is thinking :)

Reactions: Ryan ToysReview

Sound_Proof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmmm...I really haven't considered this. I do daily double uploads I should probably look into it

SweetsAndCandy

Reaction score
Very interesting discussion. I always wondered about this question too. If I think rational about it, I highly doubt that scheduling is a problem. I do it all the time.

HOWEVER, I somehow also do not trust the scheduling function. I am also under the impression that scheduled videos perform worse. :eeks:

LytaneVS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As far as I know YouTube gathers data from any video that is uploaded right away in order to do anything copyright related and the like. It isn't until you Publish it that it takes a proper look at the video and gathers more data.
Two things I found a little annoying with the schedule system is 1 you can't schedule the video into a playlist, you have to do that manually later. 2 you can't put cards to videos that aren't published yet. At least to the best of my knowledge so you have to go into the video manager often to add these things into videos as you need them. Mostly its an inconvenience.