Cutting down on uploads

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If you're looking for more views, it appears your videos where "Careless Dad Crushes X" seems to do the best. It's pretty predictable, actually. Your views are fairly consistent for the rest of your videos (except the doctor-themed ones, which do a bit better than average, as well). So if your main concern is views, I'd cut down on the number and focus on, I guess, putting toys under your car (that seems to be something that gets toy channels views).

Mello Fello's

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Save the headache and constant pressure that you put on yourself throughout the week and cut down to no more than 3 a week. I went from everyday including Saturdays and HOLY CRAP when I switched I immediately felt relief. So far so good so give that a shot if nothing else works.

Ryan ToysReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For the channel your size I don't think you need to stress out about uploading everyday! I've seen many successful channels over 1millions sub that doesn't upload everyday. Even if it lowers your overall view, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. If you're able to get into the suggestive slot/browse feature, one video will make up all the lost views and more. All it takes it one video to get suggested. When I started, I was uploading 1-3 times a week for a while. So I suggest focus on trendy videos if you want a higher chance to get suggested into bigger channels. All those bad baby, doc mcstuffins...etc...pick what your family enjoy making videos about! Also I would make your thumbnails brighter! Some of your thumbnails seem a bit dark. (I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just trying to help) Your sons are too adorable! Once your channel gets more authority with YouTube then you can always increase you uploads then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey there,
Sorry to hear your predicament! I would begin with analysing your analytics from when you received the jump in views. There could be indications of whether you should revisit a theme that did well for your channel.

Using views as an indication of channel performance would not be my primary source. Instead I would have a look at the watch time and consideration compare the differences.

You can also look at the retention which will indicate how well you hooked the viewers.

Video duration also plays a big part. Has it changed or remained the same since the peak? I have tested reducing a channel from posting two 10 minute videos per day to posting one 30 minute video per day. It has exploded since.

But as another poster has mentioned already, there are also external factors to consider which may be playing a role in the dip.

The channels that you benchmark yourself against, have they been around longer than you? Are they your competitors or just random channels lol?

Finally, your titles and thumbnails may have been better around the peak. Have you tested for keywords that may perform strongly for your channel?

Hope even a tiny bit of this helps :)

Dave
Hey Dave!

To me thumbnails have been the same.. a few maybe to dark ( I use my iphone right now) I have some videos actually doing better now.. they are being suggested by larger channels.. so to me I don't think that is the problem. I use similar or same keywords that others use as long as it relates to my videos. I have tried different lengths, I don't see a difference. Retenton is actually better.. :) The channels I am being suggested to are kids channels and most are huge compared to mine. I actually just had two videos get suggested yesterday. Not a ton of views maybe 20-50 per hour but its something. Seems like every time I get another video suggested, another one slows down haha

Thanks so much![DOUBLEPOST=1483961801,1483961481][/DOUBLEPOST]
For the channel your size I don't think you need to stress out about uploading everyday! I've seen many successful channels over 1millions sub that doesn't upload everyday. Even if it lowers your overall view, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. If you're able to get into the suggestive slot/browse feature, one video will make up all the lost views and more. All it takes it one video to get suggested. When I started, I was uploading 1-3 times a week for a while. So I suggest focus on trendy videos if you want a higher chance to get suggested into bigger channels. All those bad baby, doc mcstuffins...etc...pick what your family enjoy making videos about! Also I would make your thumbnails brighter! Some of your thumbnails seem a bit dark. (I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just trying to help) Your sons are too adorable! Once your channel gets more authority with YouTube then you can always increase you uploads then.
Thanks so much! We have done some of the trending with little success but I think because we are so small, plus my boys want to do their on thing most of the time lol Thank you! Haha Yes, I use my iphone for filming & pics for the thumbnails but thinking I need some better equipment. I have actually done better uploading every other day. Thanks so much![DOUBLEPOST=1483961840][/DOUBLEPOST]
Save the headache and constant pressure that you put on yourself throughout the week and cut down to no more than 3 a week. I went from everyday including Saturdays and HOLY CRAP when I switched I immediately felt relief. So far so good so give that a shot if nothing else works.
I am doing every other now and feel so much better about it!! So much less stress![DOUBLEPOST=1483961944][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you're looking for more views, it appears your videos where "Careless Dad Crushes X" seems to do the best. It's pretty predictable, actually. Your views are fairly consistent for the rest of your videos (except the doctor-themed ones, which do a bit better than average, as well). So if your main concern is views, I'd cut down on the number and focus on, I guess, putting toys under your car (that seems to be something that gets toy channels views).
Haha Yes, they are the best one performing wise. I have had two others just recently gain some speed.. was hoping to get away from the crushing ones.. but may have to do a few more so we can keep growing ;) Thank you![DOUBLEPOST=1483962171][/DOUBLEPOST]
But then again, that´s some decent numbers, way better than mine, I get about 10-20 views per day, tops!
I was there too until I reenacted someones video and then it got suggested :)

Last edited:

Casidhe Lianna

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
whatever schedule you change to make sure it is consistent and make sure your subscribers are aware of the change. if you suddenly drop to uploading twice a week on random days your loyal subscribers won't know when to check back for videos or might think your inactive and unsub.

dineANDrhyme

Reaction score
I agree with Casidhe! Make sure you still stay consistent and let your viewers know!

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
The point of YouTube is to get lots of views right? Well more content means more views for you. But what happens when you burn yourself out? You'll stop making content. You'll skip days. You'll feel unmotivated and all the hard work is gone and you'll lose your viewers. So instead of focusing on views in the short term, think long term. The goal should be to not burn yourself out. If that means 1 video a week, or 2, or 3, so be it. Don't feel pressured by the bigger YouTubers to go everyday. They have editors working for them, and a producer, and sometimes writers. You're a one person band, think of your health and well being first. That'll keep you going in the long run.

Reactions: on2purpose
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
whatever schedule you change to make sure it is consistent and make sure your subscribers are aware of the change. if you suddenly drop to uploading twice a week on random days your loyal subscribers won't know when to check back for videos or might think your inactive and unsub.
Yes totally! We are doing ever other day now. I noted it on our channel description too :)[DOUBLEPOST=1484236336,1484224282][/DOUBLEPOST]
The point of YouTube is to get lots of views right? Well more content means more views for you. But what happens when you burn yourself out? You'll stop making content. You'll skip days. You'll feel unmotivated and all the hard work is gone and you'll lose your viewers. So instead of focusing on views in the short term, think long term. The goal should be to not burn yourself out. If that means 1 video a week, or 2, or 3, so be it. Don't feel pressured by the bigger YouTubers to go everyday. They have editors working for them, and a producer, and sometimes writers. You're a one person band, think of your health and well being first. That'll keep you going in the long run.

Yes, I wasnt getting burnt out until my views started dropping.. then I felt every day wasnt working as I am small and seem to be wasting videos doing them every day. I'm doing ever other day right now which seems to be going great, for me, not for my views lol..

We are in the process of finishing a home so doing videos is hard to fit in plus our house looks horrible at the moment. So yes, maybe but prob not, if we ever do get larger I will go back to each day.

Thanks Y'all!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In our case we are uploading consistently twice a week, well honestly last December we are peaking up in views but after New Year until now views and view time are cut down to half. I am still trying to figure out what is going on or what to do, and I can't find a solution yet. I am already thinking if we need to upload videos everyday just like the big channels do but my fear is that it may not help us out because our channel is small and just started 3 months ago. Another thing I am still trying to learn is how our videos will be suggested by larger channels of the same niche.