Cutaways in Sketches Video Tip :)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
In many new channels I see make sketches I sometimes feel that the timing of the cutaway feels out of sync in a way. This is a little tip i'd like to share with you that is used in films and TV shows :)

Assuming someone is talking already, before the camera cuts to the other person in reply, you want to let the audio take the camera with them. For example:

[SHOT 1] Person A: Hi, how are you?
[SHOT 1] Person B: I'm f-
[SHOT 2] Person B: -ine thanks

What is happening here is that the camera cuts away to the next person talking after they are heard. Staying on the first shot, their voice comes in THEN it cuts to them. This is a very smooth way of transitioning from one shot to another in a scene.

Next time you're watching TV, in a conversation look out for the camera cutting just after you hear the persons first word. It may cut back for them to speak for purposes of building tension but generally this is a good way to transition making this smooth and less "blocky" :p

AmbossTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
Good tip. My first videos felt "blocky", too. Already did the first steps in that direction by overlapping from time to time but there's still room for improvement. Sometimes it's also a question of time. I could possibly polish the videos forever so I try to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the stuff can be done in 20% of the time. Not ideal, I know. But with work, sports and social life, time becomes a factor.

Reactions: Brodie

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Great tip. But when exactly do you cut away to the person speaking? After a certain amount of seconds or after the first word or just when the second word starts or...? There has to be a rule for that too, because there are endless possibilities (to do it wrong) ;)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
Great tip. But when exactly do you cut away to the person speaking? After a certain amount of seconds or after the first word or just when the second word starts or...? There has to be a rule for that too, because there are endless possibilities (to do it wrong) ;)
It's all about the sense of knowing, knowing when to cut. I've been doing this for a few years now so it's sor tof a thing for me to know natrually but generally it's from half way into the first word to the 4th word :)

AlveyMusic

probably late for something
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I believe this type of edit is called a "L" cut in the film editing world. Also @Sabrina Dot Kom like he said, it's just something you kind of need to play around with. Try a few different variations of the edit, and then you'll be able to see which one flows best. Best of luck to you! :)

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I don't need it right now but probably when I'll introduce a clone ;)