Custom Thumbnails Announcement At Vidcon

thefriendlygreek

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone!

I'm unsure whether this is the proper board for this thread, so my apologies in advance if it is not. :)

During the Vidcon keynote speech yesterday, YouTube announced that all partners who have monetized their channel and are in good standing will now be able to customize thumbnails. Here's the official announcement from @YTCreators on twitter: https://www.twitter.com/YTCreators/status/218508088997707778

This is awesome. Timer has it that banners will be rolled out in the future.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wonder when we will all get them. It's all exciting the wait though lol

Michael Carlyle

The Active Member!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Reviewer
That's pretty cool, although it makes being a Full partner pointless....plus it makes joining networks pointless since It's easy to get videos monetized, and now Monetization means it'll lead to Full Partner...

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's pretty cool, although it makes being a Full partner pointless....plus it makes joining networks pointless since It's easy to get videos monetized, and now Monetization means it'll lead to Full Partner...
I have that issue with the badges here, they will end up being removed if they phase partners out to that extent, it will be stupid everyone having a badge just because they can monetise when anyone can lol

Michael Carlyle

The Active Member!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Reviewer
I have that issue with the badges here, they will end up being removed if they phase partners out to that extent, it will be stupid everyone having a badge just because they can monetise when anyone can lol
Yeah tell me about it...

SSSSSTOP IT YOUTUBE!! - Lamarr Wilson Quote.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes they had mentioned this before and with the new/old dashboard appearing among other things I will assume that the thumbnails is not far Behind. Really everyone should have the option to make their channel pretty. I am all for a level playing field it will remove some of the shenanigans that are occuring over a banner and a thumbnail and hopefully restore a bit of what youtube has lost as a result of them.
--- merged: Jun 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM ---
Yeah tell me about it...

SSSSSTOP IT YOUTUBE!! - Lamarr Wilson Quote.
they have no choice in what they are doing youtube needs more money and this is the way to do it. Anyone who produces quality content should have the same option to make money as it makes youtube money. Its win win .. youtube gets to live and everyone gets to make money. Remember youtube was having money issues and just got sold to google because of it. Google is trying to make their business profitable. The other option is to start charging for space. I prefer their solution to be honest :0

the9one8

www.youtube.com/the9one8
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think the more youtube can allow customizations of channels the better. Sure it makes the full partnership deal less of a thing, but who cares. They could revamp the partnership platform and really focus on getting quality content advertised within the site. Perhaps a full partnership could be for the more successful channels and have clear cut requirements to meet. As a business it would behoove them to partner as many channels as possible to drive up ad revenue and site traffic. Spend less time tweaking the unimportant aspects of the site and really develop quality control on content that is uploaded to meet partnership requirements.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Network partnerships still have an advantage and always will because of outside deals/agreements etc. Regular youtube partnerships are wide and varried quality wise. Personally for me anyone who is given these features and actually takes the time to use them is worthy of having them if that makes any sense. Just like myspace (although i hate that site lol) and anything other place that allows people to customize there are those that take the time and then others who dont. That divide is good enough for me. If someone works hard on something they have take then time within their means to create what I would consider quality content. The guy who just throws stuff up and does not customize his site and doesn't edit his videos is not ever going to be a part of this equation. This is good enough for me. Youtube said it best in their blog once. Anyone with a passionate fanbase no matter how large or how small is a creator they want to reward people with small fanbases and not just those with large ones. I could not agree more with that statement.

Reactions: the9one8