Custom Channel URL?

JCDallas

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and new to posting videos on YouTube.. well, sort of. I used to have a channel a few years ago, but that didn't really work out to well at the time, but I am now getting back into making Videos Again... I just had a quick question though, I remember a few years ago, you used to be able to create a custom URL for your channel right when you first created your account, but for my new channel I noticed that there are now certain requirements I have to meet? When did this change, and is there a way around this?

Thanks
- JCDallas

Last edited:

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Your channel has to be eligible for it. New ones cannot simply change theirs at their own will.

To see if it qualifies, go to this URL: youtube.com/features (must be logged in)

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To create a custom URL for your channel, your account needs to:
  • Have 100 or more subscribers
  • Be at least 30 days old
  • Have an uploaded photo as channel icon
  • Have uploaded channel art
In general, a YouTube channel may only have one (1) custom URL and custom URLs cannot be transferred or assigned to anyone.

JCDallas

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I get what the requirements are, But like when/why did this even start? I remember in the old days there were no requirements or anything, at least from what I can remember..

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I felt like it's been there for the last few years. Ever since the google+ merge, I believe.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I get what the requirements are, But like when/why did this even start? I remember in the old days there were no requirements or anything, at least from what I can remember..
Several years ago.

I guess it's to prevent people creating accounts just to steal (URL) names.

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Can't remember because not that long ago all you need was 10 google+ followers and the account had to be 30 days old, then it went to you need 500 subs on YouTube.

So really 100 subs isn't bad.

I guess YouTube needed a middle ground that way everyone can't get a custom URL, but 500 was just way too many.