Criticism Please

Studz McGee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
So, I'm loving posting on YouTube, and I don't have a huge following but I don't mind. It's just fun and it's nice having a routine like this. My issue is, I need to know how to improve so I can do what I do better. And I can't know that right off the bat. So, I'm hoping people will read this and tell me how to stop sucking at certain things haha. Seriously, be hypercritical in the comments. Take me DOWN. Let me know what I need to do better! Basically, consider this /r/RoastMe. I need to know what to improve.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
First thirty seconds of your trailer.

Nobody needs to wait nearly 3 seconds on a transition/edit. (hope you enjoy 1... 2... 3...) The music is low intensity and slow pace but you are giving us action? The game sounds (sounds which a team of developers put together to enhance the gameplay, work and effort you are free to exploit) is not present. Instead, we have that jarringly out of place music.

Bioshock episode 1

The audio levels of your commentary is a bit low, so I can't really hear what you are saying. Other than that I don't really have much else to say. Just work on your small talk, and remember that people like a story, particularly as told by the reactions of a narrator (you) so don't be afraid to let us know how you feel about whats going on (which to be fair, I think you are doing pretty well)

Really though, getting the audio right should be your primary concern, I think it will be a lot harder for you to retain viewers when the audio is uncomfortable to listen to. Just bring your voice up and the game down a little bit.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

Studz McGee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
First thirty seconds of your trailer.

Nobody needs to wait nearly 3 seconds on a transition/edit. (hope you enjoy 1... 2... 3...) The music is low intensity and slow pace but you are giving us action? The game sounds (sounds which a team of developers put together to enhance the gameplay, work and effort you are free to exploit) is not present. Instead, we have that jarringly out of place music.

Bioshock episode 1

The audio levels of your commentary is a bit low, so I can't really hear what you are saying. Other than that I don't really have much else to say. Just work on your small talk, and remember that people like a story, particularly as told by the reactions of a narrator (you) so don't be afraid to let us know how you feel about whats going on (which to be fair, I think you are doing pretty well)

Really though, getting the audio right should be your primary concern, I think it will be a lot harder for you to retain viewers when the audio is uncomfortable to listen to. Just bring your voice up and the game down a little bit.
Excellent feedback, I definitely agree. The audio should be fixed soon, I've noticed it's difficult with that as well. Thanks!

Thaskully

Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
In my opinion, I would say add 'Entertainment Value" Watch is so we are not just watch someone play a game and instead watching YOU play if that makes sense. Try to add more of a personality.

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
just saying whatever im thinking

your banner and profile are fine ig. you need to put more work into your thumbnails. dont title your videos like "Contagion with Philofhatsandgames". your a small channel. if someone randomly finds your video in their search feed they have no idea who you or philo is. they'd likely click on a different contagion video. havent been to phil's channel but if he's another tiny channel the 5 or so views you got from the video isnt going to help him. things like that only matter when one channel is large enough that they can share views.

also its a bit hard to hear/understand everything you'ya'll are saying. i'd probably skip right into the gameplay instead of that intro.

also instead of uploading the whole 20 minute clip i'd maybe turn it into a montage of all the fun moments.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, I'm loving posting on YouTube, and I don't have a huge following but I don't mind. It's just fun and it's nice having a routine like this. My issue is, I need to know how to improve so I can do what I do better. And I can't know that right off the bat. So, I'm hoping people will read this and tell me how to stop sucking at certain things haha. Seriously, be hypercritical in the comments. Take me DOWN. Let me know what I need to do better! Basically, consider this /r/RoastMe. I need to know what to improve.
I cant really watch one of the videos atm, but you should probably change your thumbnails. I have no idea what the thumbnail is trying to show for your Bioshock video and I see that some of your thumbnails have some text that is very hard to read.

If you're going to put text in your thumbnail make it easily readable, and try not to put in too much of it. Faces or some sort of subject for your thumbnails are great too as people react to that.

You should really put a lot of effort into your thumbnail, people aren't ever going to see your video if they don't click on your thumbnail.

Studz McGee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I cant really watch one of the videos atm, but you should probably change your thumbnails. I have no idea what the thumbnail is trying to show for your Bioshock video and I see that some of your thumbnails have some text that is very hard to read.

If you're going to put text in your thumbnail make it easily readable, and try not to put in too much of it. Faces or some sort of subject for your thumbnails are great too as people react to that.

You should really put a lot of effort into your thumbnail, people aren't ever going to see your video if they don't click on your thumbnail.
Yeah, I realized that old style of thumbnail wasn't working great due to the unreadable text so I swapped to a new reusable overlay thing. The bioshock one did come out kind of iffy, but I also sort of like it's weird excitement with the bright colors and odd shapes (and Bioshock fans I think recognize it haha). Thanks for the advice, man, much appreciated.

Reactions: Stike96