Creative Block Issues

Justine

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
So for awhile I've been dealing with a major block in my creativity; I'll try to write a script for a video or even just record and I have no motivation whatsoever! I've talked to other people about this and it's pretty common so I was just wondering how you get over your creative blocks! Do you wait it out (like I usually do) or do you try to power through it?

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Try not think about it to much and you will eventually come up with something. I usually do a lot of comedy sketches for my channel, so I have to script a lot of my videos I try not to over think and usually I end up coming up with ideas! Good luck!

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Always power through it, whatever you do don't stop, it's harder to get back into things when you stop. However if you're still constantly blocked then you might question why you're doing things the way you are and try a different approach. Like, if you're being too serious in your videos, try switching to funny, or vice versa.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you need to find a right balance of powering through it and taking a few days off. doing both could be detrimental. if you try too hard, you may burn yourself out. if you take too much time off, you may lose your edge. It's completely normal to go through the ebbs and flows the longer you're on Youtube.

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So for awhile I've been dealing with a major block in my creativity; I'll try to write a script for a video or even just record and I have no motivation whatsoever! I've talked to other people about this and it's pretty common so I was just wondering how you get over your creative blocks! Do you wait it out (like I usually do) or do you try to power through it?
Omg! I'm experiencing the same thing. :banghead2: Not necessarily with YouTube but one of my other hobbies: writing (web soap opera series) I've been on and off writing this soap opera. I finally was able to get back into writing it earlier this year. I wrote six additional episodes. Before I had stopped writing years ago I had written 10 episodes. However, since I haven't written any recent episodes for a while, I've had to go over all the previously written episodes. I felt I like the new episodes I was writing weren't adding up. Plus, I was forgetting what I've already written. I manage to get through epsiodes 1 through 9 pretty smoothly. However, once I got to episode 10 I started to get stuck. I've been stuck on this episode for a while. Now, I feel like I have to go through all the old episodes again. :confused: I've tried forcing my brain to come up with something. I constantly took breaks in between, but nothing. Today, I managed to get a little further than the day before but still. I'm not completely satisfied with some of the scenes. I feel like I need to back away from this for about a day or two. After a couple days, I could try to go back and read the entire epsiode from the beginning. It's been really stressful. :(

Reactions: Justine

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think you need to find a right balance of powering through it and taking a few days off. doing both could be detrimental. if you try too hard, you may burn yourself out. if you take too much time off, you may lose your edge. It's completely normal to go through the ebbs and flows the longer you're on Youtube.
Agree with Sanitary103 finding the balance is key, when I get a block for content I take a break, going for a long walk helps me get my head around ideas, then I go back and power through.

Reactions: Justine

TGP-ROB

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me its been learning something new in the editing and recording world
So going over tutorials to help me/you out will benefit the channel a lot for the general quality of the videos
Watching those videos makes me want to try and replicate the effect they use in the editing software and incorporate it into my videos.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
it depends, when it comes to visual film making I tend to wait it out. eventually my brain humors me and gives me the shot im looking for to help finish the job; its usually at random though so it can take days or even weeks before something hits me...when it comes to scripting however I find it best to power through with it...I write absolute garbage during this time...but I find it easier to go back and try to better a broken script than to wait till I have the motivation and write something that realistically could go either way :)

Victoria

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me its been learning something new in the editing and recording world
So going over tutorials to help me/you out will benefit the channel a lot for the general quality of the videos
Watching those videos makes me want to try and replicate the effect they use in the editing software and incorporate it into my videos.
Same for me! I get a lot of motivation from watching those tutorials. Recently I even got an idea for a whole video to make based on a few effects I saw. I wouldn't have thought about it if I wasn't staying engaged with other people's contents. Otherwise I've realized my weak point right now is that because I just started out, i'm having a hard time staying on a regular schedule. I think I'd be more motivated if I posted regularly/weekly

Reactions: TGP-ROB

TGP-ROB

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Same for me! I get a lot of motivation from watching those tutorials. Recently I even got an idea for a whole video to make based on a few effects I saw. I wouldn't have thought about it if I wasn't staying engaged with other people's contents. Otherwise I've realized my weak point right now is that because I just started out, i'm having a hard time staying on a regular schedule. I think I'd be more motivated if I posted regularly/weekly
You dont have to upload all the time
But what my channel currently does is uploads content into private
And then we decide what should go first and and and
Schedule uploading will have a regular upload feed for subs to understand when you post
For us its every 2 days
We could do every day but it would put a lot of pressure on us

Reactions: Victoria