Creating and Maintaining a Successful Channel

Beanbag

I Love YTtalk
Hello There! First things first, welcome to YouTube. The world's largest online video-making community all in the palm of your hands, so now it's time to harness it. I assume you have now made your channel, registered for the best forums in the world, and are now looking for top advice in setting up your channel, creating/editing videos, uploading them with proper tags and descriptions and creating a unique experience for your viewers. So, I am going to bring you all the fastest and most effective way to do so..

- All these tips are structured around the 2013 One Channel Layout, So make sure you have activated this before reading on -

So without further a due, Lets get started shall we!

Setting Up Your YouTube Channel

Channel Name

You have know created your channel, and are ready to make it look awesome! First things first, I would suggest heading over to your YouTube Settings Tab, and changing the title of your channel to something more relevant. If you make gaming videos, change your title to "PawTayToe's Gaming", or even use your nickname to come up with something short and eye catching. This is going to play a big role in the presentation to the audience, and will also benefit you in the long run.

Untitled_1.png

Browse Feature

So scroll back over to your main Channel page, under where your "Channel Art" will appear is a small box titled "Settings". Click on here, and you should see a section on the page titled "Browse", then activate the Browse Feature. This will give you the ability to upload a Trailer for your channel, and to add custom sections on your page. If you have not already done so, I would suggest creating a 30 second trailer for your channel, briefly explaining what type of videos you create. This will appear for non-subscribed visitors, and will give them a quick and detailed insight to your Channel.

Browse.png

About Section & Channel Links

Your about section is the quickest way for users to find out a little more about you, so make sure that you use this feature to it's maximum potential. Add a short and sweet description of what content you produce and give them a small insight to the person behind the username, aka you or your team. You can also add in some Contact Details so they can find you, I would recommend using Skype if you haven't already set one up. Now, to the Channel Links.. These are the small, clickable links you will find in the bottom right corner of your channel art. I would recommend providing links to your Social Networks, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also add in links to Merchandise, Websites and other fun things.. such as the YTtalk Forums! This will add a little bit of extra flare to your channel, and can also provide you with wider recognition over your entire network.

Screenshot_1.png

Branding Tips

Your Online Identity

Think of each video you upload as the foundation for your online identity, so the content you upload should be consistent with your overall brand. If you're a Gamer, post the Vlogs and IRL videos on a second channel or utilize the privacy settings to limit sharing. Just remember, YouTube is the second largest Search Engine on the web, so make sure to post relevant content to the theme of your channel. Upload videos that are relevant to your target audience, and use Keywords that are directly related to the content of your video. If you have a new Commentary, use the keywords "Black Ops 2 Commentary" in your video, and chances are people searching for that might just find your video. Keywords play a really important role, but we will get back to that later on in this thread.. Always open/close your videos with a similar catchphrase or call that interacts with the Target Audience, something as simple "Hey Guys" can make a big difference.

Merchandise

I'm sure we have all dreamed of seeing someone wearing clothing that is branded with your name, but Merchandise is not something that can be sold at the birth of your channel. Building a strong fanbase is a must-have before attempting to sell merchandise. Not only are they using there own money to purchase YOUR clothing, they are also self-promoting you to so many other people. So you have to give a little to get a little, buy one of your shirts and do a giveaway? That will draw attention to the quality of your product, and the fact that you are ready to start giving back to your viewers.

Creating YouTube Channel Art

Channel Art is the new banner that appears at the top of your channel, and can be used in many different ways. If you have browsed around for a bit, you might have seen a few channels using the new layout that have some really eye-catching and attractive art on there banners. Make sure to have your name on the banner, I would recommend big, bold letters that draw your attention. You can add some more information, or a catchphrase to this as well, which will add a unique touch to your Banner. Use different textures, light effects or even a photo behind the text, but make sure it doesn't draw away from the big message that is your main text. So maybe lower the opacity, so it fades into the background a little but more.

Basic Video SEO Tips - Search Engine Optimization

Like I mentioned earlier, YouTube is the second largest Search Engine on the web. Yep, that's right, even bigger the Bing or Yahoo. So, It is a shock to learn that most creators's aren't harnessing this or acting upon a successful SEO Optimization Strategy to benefit there channel/brand. YouTube is the perfect way for you to expand your grasp on the community, and to reach out a larger community of people. All SEO can be broken down rather easily, but here is a quick and simple way.

If I were to type in "YTtalk" into the YouTube Search Bar, It shows me 3 different options for viewing the results: Channel, Playlist or Video. It is also possible to sort these results in different ways, but Relevance is the default option for all searches. So the way you see results on YouTube is the same as you would see them if you did it through a Search Engine. Your videos can also rank well in these Search Engines themselves, Remember that every video has it's own page, called the Watch Page. Which can of course be optimized just like any other page on the web.

When a YouTube video is found through Google, because YouTube converts your files to Flash, Search Engines have a hard time reading what is inside a Flash File, especially a video. That is why your title, description and tags play such major roles in the optimization of your content. YouTube automatically adds meta-tags to your video, so the title and description each play a role in finding videos through a Search Engine.

Here are a few quick and simple ways to Optimize your videos

- Include appropriate tags and keywords when uploading your video, these are the main sources that Search Engines use, which will boost your relevance in the Search Results
- For each video, write a unique and rich description that includes a URL, which is best to be placed at the start of the description. So when the "Read More" feature is collapsed, the link will still be visible. Also, A Videos Description is the next best thing used to locate your videos on Search Engines, so make sure to use relevant keywords where appropriate.
- Take advantage of YouTube's Caption and Annotation Feature. Provide links at the top of your video to Previous Videos, Newest Videos or even a playlist you are trying to expose. You can also now feature your avatar, or a certain video across your entire channel. So no matter what video a user is watching, they will see the content you embedded over each one.

YouTube Tags in a little more depth

Choosing your tags carefully plays a big part in the success of your video, so make sure to choose the keywords that best describe your video. You can use the Google Keyword Analysis tool, or any other similar site to find useful keywords to use in your videos. Just keep in mind, the more popular a keyword is, the more competition there will be for it. Try to use them to best describe what your video is about, and then take a look around using your keywords to see what type of competition you are p against.

You might think that it is a great idea to include popular tags in your videos, that have nothing to relate to the actual content that you produced. While this may attract more attention to your video, there is less chance they will actually stay and watch your video. While "sex" is the most common search on the internet, I wouldn't recommend using it as a tag in one of your videos.

Once you have chosen the perfect tags you want to use, it is now time to set them into your video. When you upload to your channel, you have the option of adding the tags that you want to assign. You can use as many tags as you like, but make sure you separate each one with a space. This means you can include a lot of different tags, for a larger chance of people actually finding your videos.

Now, no one knows how successful a tag really is, so it's best to just experiment with a few different keyword phrases to make the most out of your video. By doing this, it should be much easier to find the perfect keywords to use in your videos.

Making Custom Thumbnails

If you are a YouTube Partner, or have had the feature enabled on your account. You will notice you now have the ability to add Custom Thumbnails to your video. This means you can add an image to replace the standard preview normally seen on your videos. Try and have a set of thumbnails for each series, each varying in the design and appeal for the different type of content you produce. But most of all, they can add a more unique and comfortable feel to your videos. Try to use warm colors, bold text and a small image/s in your Thumbnails for some extra effect. The dimensions for a HD Custom Thumbnail are 1280x720, So if your designer or yourself are interested in making your own, they will be full HD.

Promoting

If you are interested in promoting your videos to a wide, active and loyal community. Then you are already in the right place, YTtalk has a wide variety of content creators, that are all here to help you with any questions or queries you may have. Once you have settled into the Forums, you can purchase "Video Forum Access". Where you can promote your videos/channel to an audience of willing and active members. But, YTtalk is not the only place where you can make a big difference on the exposure of your content. Using Social Networks such as Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, Instagram and Skype can play a huge part in how many people will visit and view your content. You can also do Collaborations or Meetups with other YouTuber's, which also provides extra promotion and advertising to a new group of people. Many large YouTuber's value Collaborations as the main way their channels have grown so successful.

Content Tips

So your channel is setup, and you know the best tips and strategies for a successful channel. So, it's now time to start recording and uploading some content. Now, the equipment needed for different genres can range over thousands of different products, accessories, program and props. So I'll give you all the basic rundown of the most important equipment needed.

Recording/Editing

For PC Gamers, this is particularly easy to do. Free programs such as Fraps or Bandicam can supply quick and simple Game/Screen Recording in average quality, or you can purchase licenses for these programs that allow more features and therefore better videos. But, Console Gamer's might find this bit of a struggle. Capture Devices are the best, and almost only way to get your Gameplays and Clips onto the Internet, so a little bit of money is going to be needed. A Hauppauge HD PVR can set you back around $200 USD, but will give you HD Recordings. You can stoop a little lower, using Dazzle HD or Roxio that are priced from the $50 to $150 mark. which I would recommend for the beginning commentators.

But, now that you have some content, you are going to have to edit/render it ready for upload. You can download Trial Versions of Sony Vegas, After Effects or iMovie to use for a limited time, which will then result in the need for a license to continue use. There are other means of getting these programs, but they are highly illegal and are not recommended. I would suggest rendering in 1280x720p, Which is Standard HD for YouTube.

Lighting

IRL (In Real Life) Creators will know all about this. You can have the best camera out, but without good lighting the quality of your videos will suffer. For beginners, you can purchase a "Cowboy Lighting Kit" of Amazing for around $60. Which contains two Umbrellas with stands, and two Light Stands with Balanced Photo Light-bulbs. Which are perfect for new IRL Creators looking to make an entrance on the Community.

Green Screening

Green Screens are an inexpensive and easy to use tool for creating next-level videos. Using some simple editing skills, you can turn a plain background into a moving paradise, which you can replace with any image/video you please.. A perfect example of Green Screen users would be the Epic Rap Battles of History. Using Green Screening, They are able to provide the viewer with a different world of effects and editing skills. So, If you are looking to make your videos stand out that little bit more, I would highly recommend looking into a Green Screen Setup. But, with Green-Screens, you will also need lighting, editing software and a good camera for the best effect.

Camera Quality

This is something that gets discussed quite regularly on the forums, but it also causes the most debate between members. If you are new to YouTube, and are looking for a simple and easy way for decent quality videos. You can use an iPhone or iPod. They record in HD, which can easily be transferred to a computer and edited using After Effects, Vegas or iMovie. If you are looking at going straight to HD, I would recommend a Canon EOS 600D with an 18-55Ml Twin Lens Kit. The 600D Records in Full HD, which is perfect for Vloggers and Comedians.

After 2 days of typing, perfecting and editing this thread. Me and Michael agreed that this everything a new user needs to know before starting up there YouTube Channel. I hope you all learn from the tips, strategies and techniques provided in this thread :) If you have any further questions, just message me.

Well Written.. I enjoyed reading that... and normally I have a problem reading.. I done only graduated the 2nd grade.

Seriously thanks for posting

Very detailed and it has a great structure overall. Nice tips you give and I really think this is one of the most detailed guides I've ever seen :D
Sticky pl0x :p

Nicely done. I agree, it's well written, very detailed, and most importantly extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing it with our community. :)

Great guide, nice job. Lots of people here are low subscriber growing channels and I'm sure this will be useful.

Great stuff !! I like how in depth it is, very nice work. thanks for taking the time to write that out, i think it will help out many :)

Thankyou so much this is so helpful! I am really going to consider everything you wrote and place it into action! I like how you also put the links for the lighting because boy, i have been looking for good lighting for a while. So Thankyou!

Back