Creating a "Youtube Personality" VS being Genuine.

If you knew it would improve your view count would you change your On screen personality?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Only for specific videos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only to enhance comedic effect

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Only in the form of a character

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
No cos I couldnt be bothered. I dont sugarcoat and I dont pretend. The most I would do is adjust a bit. Being a different person isnt necessarily the same as just having a bit adjusted attitude or behavior. But I would def not do a 180 in terms of personality.

OrkoTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Never become a personality on youtube, The best reason is you cant reenact being real, being a person that can give advice on the fly or just say something you thought up. Personality takes being original away and become a shell of what you could be. You become staged and if you are not a person that can keep up to a personality image forever, you have already lost. The best personality any youtuber can be is their own.

Reactions: Electricbrae

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I consider when it comes to this topic kind of like pro wrestling. I think about Stone Cold. Redneck who loves beer and kicking butt. That's who he is ultimately but when he's wrestling, he turns his personality up 10x. So be louder, be rowdier. He's not that wild outside the ring. He is that guy outside but it's not as turned up as it is on camera. That's how I go about my videos. It's my personality x 10.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a really good discussion. I feel as though it's completely acceptable to create an online personality/alias if that's what gets the clicks, but for me personally, I try to be myself. ^^

AntoNeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally, I'm doing Youtube for many reasons, but the main one is to be fully comfortable with myself. And I believe that people enjoy Youtubers who are genuinely themselves, and that's what differentiates TV from Youtube. I may had been trained in acting, but I will only play characters for a comedy skit or short film for my Youtube channel, never fully for my "youtube personality", that will always be 100% me.

I feel that an "on-camera personality" is basically someone who just feels comfortable being on camera and NOT pretending. Although there are some out there who are doing Youtube for the wrong reasons and those are the people who are mostly "fake", because people are really good at subconsciously knowing who's being fake.

Take Pewdiepie for example, on camera he's really loud, in person (from other fan videos) he's really quiet. Now people might think of him as fake or something but I think it's because Felix feels comfortable on camera, he's in his element, take him out and put him in a crowd, he feels out of his comfort zone.

Electricbrae

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There are a lot more responses than I ever expected! Thank you everyone this has been super interesting to read! It's really awesome and reassuring to see so many different, wonderful and talented people putting themselves out there on the interwebs and making amazing things :) Thank you all for being so open about your own experiences especially.

*This is the first forum I've ever really joined so I'm not sure how this quote thing works i'm so sorry if this is a wall of text, please forgive me*

Most people have a wide range of personality depending on the situation. My personality around my parents, friends, at work, at a bar or club, around someone I'm dating is always a little different. So I find nothing wrong with someone behaving differently when they're making Youtube Videos. It wouldn't necessarily mean they're faking their personality, but just showing a different side to them.
This is a really interesting point! I never thought about it that way but it certainly does make sense, having an extension of yourself to fit certain situations and deal with them in a way that makes you feel more comfortable.

I consider when it comes to this topic kind of like pro wrestling. I think about Stone Cold. Redneck who loves beer and kicking butt. That's who he is ultimately but when he's wrestling, he turns his personality up 10x. So be louder, be rowdier. He's not that wild outside the ring. He is that guy outside but it's not as turned up as it is on camera. That's how I go about my videos. It's my personality x 10.
That makes sense! Emphasising parts of your personality or maybe enhancing things to improve the entertainment value is a pretty amazing knack to have as well :D

Personally, I'm doing Youtube for many reasons, but the main one is to be fully comfortable with myself. And I believe that people enjoy Youtubers who are genuinely themselves, and that's what differentiates TV from Youtube. I may had been trained in acting, but I will only play characters for a comedy skit or short film for my Youtube channel, never fully for my "youtube personality", that will always be 100% me.

I feel that an "on-camera personality" is basically someone who just feels comfortable being on camera and NOT pretending. Although there are some out there who are doing Youtube for the wrong reasons and those are the people who are mostly "fake", because people are really good at subconsciously knowing who's being fake.

Take Pewdiepie for example, on camera he's really loud, in person (from other fan videos) he's really quiet. Now people might think of him as fake or something but I think it's because Felix feels comfortable on camera, he's in his element, take him out and put him in a crowd, he feels out of his comfort zone.
I can really emphasis with that, having a personal reason for doing Youtube and knowing what you want to achieve through your videos is probably a big factor in how you come across to viewers. Your explanation for an on screen personality makes much more sense also, it feels like a confidence that is gained through practice as well so maybe the developing of an "on screen personality" is actually just the process of becoming more comfortable in front of a camera. (I think that's pretty much what you said already but I type my thought process sorry :unsure2:)

I guess that maybe having that "core message" people talk about so much is an important part of developing that more confident you that you show on camera :)

Reactions: AntoNeo

sheabutta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel like the majority of YouTubers in the YouTube world are working under false personalities. The inconsistencies in what they say and what they do proves that to me. Example: someone who is always seen vlogging out in the club drinking with lots of people but always complain about not having friends and having a boring life. Like, how? I understand the difference between friends and associates but why do you feel as if you have to be a party animal for people to watch you .. then come right back and complain about your lack of friends and social life? It's annoying.

I feel like with my channel, what you see is definitely what you get. I try to stay as true to me as possible.

SereYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's good to stay true to yourself when emitting your online persona but there is nothing wrong with altering your personality some to seem more appealing to people.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Never try to change your personality for views or fame. Being who you are is the best thing to do. Views and fame will come eventually just be patient and harworking. Being loved by the people watching you just being you is better than being loved by the fake version of you :) i hope i am helpful with this opinion