Creating a website for my youtube channel?

lsherran

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You'll need to check your current hosting service is compatible with WordPress. It uses PHP and MySQL on a Linux server. Most hosting services now have an instant install for platforms like WordPress so you get an immediate setup. You will need to speak directly to 1&1 to find out more

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You'll need to check your current hosting service is compatible with WordPress. It uses PHP and MySQL on a Linux server. Most hosting services now have an instant install for platforms like WordPress so you get an immediate setup. You will need to speak directly to 1&1 to find out more

Thanks, but Wordpress not going to work. They have all kind of restrictions on what you can do. One of them is that you can't insert Script codes, which is how amazon.com delivers automatically generated related content ads. I could insert custom product links, but this would mean a lot of extra work to create specific product links and those links would have to be manually updated to keep them current (which is bunch of bull). I need an editor that allows me to decide what I want on on my site. I want my own website that I control (not some group of yuppies). I don't like being told what I can and cannot do on my own site, that is why I personally own my own domain name and pay for a professional hosting package.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

lsherran

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks, but Wordpress not going to work. They have all kind of restrictions on what you can do. One of them is that you can't insert Script codes, which is how amazon.com delivers automatically generated related content ads. I could insert custom product links, but this would mean a lot of extra work to create specific product links and those links would have to be manually updated to keep them current (which is bunch of bull). I need an editor that allows me to decide what I want on on my site. I want my own website that I control (not some group of yuppies). I don't like being told what I can and cannot do on my own site, that is why I personally own my own domain name and pay for a professional hosting package.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
It sounds like you're looking at a WordPress.com hosted solution which is different. You can install WordPress on your own server and do whatever you want with it including adding scripts. The sites at WordPress.com are probably restricted. When you have a copy of WordPress on your own server as I do, you own it and are free to use it as you please

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It sounds like you're looking at a WordPress.com hosted solution which is different. You can install WordPress on your own server and do whatever you want with it including adding scripts. The sites at WordPress.com are probably restricted. When you have a copy of WordPress on your own server as I do, you own it and are free to use it as you please
Ah ha, okay. I'll take a look at that. Thanks

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Ya, go to wordpress.org not wordpress.com. It's simple to install on your own server, and a lot of hosting providers also offer quick and easy setup. After that it's as customizable as you're willing to create/pay.
Question. Is this something I can buy, or is this one of the Rent deals that have to pay monthly for? I don't do rent software. I buy stuff I can own and use until I die.

lsherran

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's free. I think the previous comment was in relation to 2 things. 1 - although there are 1000s of free plugins, there are premium versions too which you can pay for. 2 - if there is something you want to do with the site that is beyond your capability, you can hire a web developer to do the work for you.

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Question. Is this something I can buy, or is this one of the Rent deals that have to pay monthly for? I don't do rent software. I buy stuff I can own and use until I die.
If you already have a domain and hosting, you could do it all completely free. If you wanted you can purchase templates, there's tons out there. Or you could also pay someone to develop a wordpress theme for you. All in all, nothing is renting, Wordpress.com sorta is, but .org is downloading and installing to your site for free

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for the response. I checked your site out. Nice! I like the simplistic design. I actually already have a website that I created long before I ever started to develop my youtube channel. It is very old and outdated. I made it with Microsoft Frontpage 2003, so it is extremely outdated. I want to completely redo it and modernize it, so I am looking for ways to do that. I see you used Weebly to make your site. Is that only website builder you tried? Did you try others? Why did you choose? Is it easy to use?
Yeah, I use weebly, I find it relatively easy to use, it´s the only one I have tried, except for a swedish blog site, and I won´t change for a while.
I did manage a blog on a swedish site earlier, but I switched to weebly, because most people won´t understand swedish!

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Danica Christin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I set up my own website pretty much right from the start when I created my YouTube channel. Technically it's a blog but I mostly use it to further discuss the content of my videos. It's not driving much traffic to my Youtube channel but given the fact that my YT journey only started a couple of months ago I think that's what is to be expected.
I'm not able to post the link to my website here, but if you want to see it you can go to my channel and you'll find it in the "About" section as well as as a small icon in the bottom right corner of my Youtube banner.