Creating a 'Coca Cola' channel?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Say I wanted to create a 'scientific study' channel about the effects of Coca Cola on random objects.

Call the channel 'What does Coca Cola do'

And each video will look at the results of objects that have sat in coca cola for a number of hours/days/weeks/months etc

Would the use of the coca cola name in the titles / descriptions cause an issue with copyright/monetisation?
Would the use of a coca cola bottle in the thumbnail (An action shot / not official image) cause an issue with copyright/monetisation?
Would coca cola go after the channel because I would guess some results would be concerning.. IE melt away objects (So what must it be doing to your insides!?)

Im curious

jamsterkid

My name is James, and i am 50% of PopcornGamers
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For educational purposes, perhaps not. Once you try to monetise it. I think you'd have a problem, as you'd essentially be making money off of their product. And with their trade-marked branding and such all over your channel, that could cause issues.

If it was one video, you'd probably get away with it to be honest, but a whole channel would be sketchy

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It might be okay. It is kind of hard to say. Maybe try and look around and see how the company feels about copyright in other cases. Some companies see things like this as free advertisement and just leave it alone, but some are weird about it.

Reactions: EVO

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For educational purposes, perhaps not. Once you try to monetise it. I think you'd have a problem, as you'd essentially be making money off of their product. And with their trade-marked branding and such all over your channel, that could cause issues.

If it was one video, you'd probably get away with it to be honest, but a whole channel would be sketchy
Yeah pretty much what this guy said. I couldn’t imagine you being able o monitize it so easily with all the Coca Cola branding all around.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I honestly doubt they'd care. You see brands all the time in books and movies. The main problem they have is people genericizing their product. Like, using 'googling' instead of 'searching', or 'band-aid' instead of 'bandage.' With this channel, you're making it clear Coca Cola belongs to Coca Cola. You'd hopefully make it clear that you're not affiliated with them.The videos would all be your own original footage. And it's all for educational use. I'm very sure educational use is covered by Fair Use. I think the only concern is the channel name, to be honest.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Call the channel 'What does Coca Cola do'
eh, channle's title sounds likely biased.
"What... ...do" assumes that the product have a possibly negative impact.

Would the use of the coca cola name in the titles / descriptions cause an issue with copyright/monetisation?
when applying for monetization I think that you have to verify that you own all rights on your videos...

Would coca cola go after the channel because I would guess some results would be concerning.. IE melt away objects (So what must it be doing to your insides!?)
There are already many negative videos on coca cola effetcs but I didn't see them go down....

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks all. I think the easy 'get around' would be to remove the 'Coca Cola' branding and just use a generic 'Cola'?

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Also if you say just cola, you can probably have a wider array of things you can test so then you can have more content

Johnjackallen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Also if you say just cola, you can probably have a wider array of things you can test so then you can have more content
Yeah, you could always take labels off and just hint at which brand of cola it is too haha. Would add a fun dimension to the video, and you might avoid some of the potential copyright worries!

I am not a lawyer though, so take this with a pinch of salt!