Creating a channel

leepalmer93

Reaction score
Hello,

I do apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section or the none appropriate questions to ask.

Basically, I've been using youtube for about two years, just viewing not actually posting any content and for the past two or three months I keep saying to myself I want to give Youtube a try, I want to post content and make people happy as I've been while watching videos, But I keep hitting a wall stopping me get off the starting line and these are;

What name could I pick?
I want to do both gaming and challenges/Vlog videos
Will be doing two different types of videos put people off?
What if I don't get a good community going?

I do want to get a channel started in the next month or two but want to set myself some high goals and a good steady amount of views before the end of the year.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the Branding and Channel Design discussion forum. ^_^

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
"What name could I pick?"
Wish I could give you proper advice on this but cant. Just go with what sounds good to you. If you'd like to become a brand in case you get big enough, having a name thats unique would bee good. Plus if you have a unique name its gonna be easier for people to search for you. If your name is PrettyLittleFlower and I wanna search for you, all Im gonna find is bunch of pics of pretty little flowers. (I dont google that, dont look at me). If your name is Lkjhgfrtyuio, and I google it, I'll probably find you. Ofc choose a name that doesnt break the tongue or doesnt sound like alien language :D
One of the reasons I postponed making of my channel cos I didnt know what to name it. Took me a LONG time to figure it out. And even now Im not sure if its good enough lol.

Will be doing two different types of videos put people off?
No, just make separate playlists. These two categories are in a similar field, both are in the entertaining area, so I think you should be fine. Of course, adjust accordingly if you notice one type of videos is hurting the overall perception of your channel, or if you lose subs cos of certain type of videos etc. Dont let it bother you for now.

What if I don't get a good community going?

The hardest part is to grow at the beginning. Thats why you should do what makes you content. As long as you are having fun creating videos, numbers and the potential slow growth shouldnt bother you. Most of the channels grow organically and no one should expect to become huge right in the beginning. Might take you days or years to grow huge, it depends on huge amount of factors, and no one can tell you for sure. Be sure to constantly improve, keep looking at your analytics and listen to the subscribers.

Hope this helps!
Peace!

Reactions: NoirAscii

leepalmer93

Reaction score
Hope this helps!
Peace!
Wow that was some packed information there, the name part is the hardest to do, I have one idea but I just don't think it would go, but then on the other hand it's an easy name and has some sort of entertainment part to it, but part of the name is common where I don't just want to 'Follow the crowd'

NoirAscii

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Sven. It's not something that skyrockets in a day, just take your time and take advice when it's given to you.

As for a name, certainly something that rolls off the tongue is good and keeps it easy to remember. For instance, did you have any nicknames, gamertags, account names that stuck with you? My channel name came from brainstorming when I was writing a plotline for a comic.

Vlogging and let's plays can be on the same channel. Like Sven said, so long as one doesn't adversely effect the other you're fine.

Best of luck with your channel!

Reactions: SvenInMotion

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Wow that was some packed information there, the name part is the hardest to do, I have one idea but I just don't think it would go, but then on the other hand it's an easy name and has some sort of entertainment part to it, but part of the name is common where I don't just want to 'Follow the crowd'
No problem dude. Also feel free to ask other people for the opinions too.
I made a poll about my name, and while this was the name I was planning to go with, it was nice to see that it was preferred by the majority on the poll as well. Dont be afraid to ask for help and advice (unless it can be googled in 5 sec lol).

leepalmer93

Reaction score
The name that I have been thinking is on the lines of Ginger tube, Yes I'm ginger hence the reference lol, Would that be any good do people think? I don't think a channel is called that.

NoirAscii

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
A good way to rule out any if needed is to type it into Google. If any YTers show up, then you know it's already taken.

Another thought to have is whether you will be (taking a guess here...) 'Lee from [insert channel name]' or will the channel name also be your persona. Such as Mark Fischbach being Markiplier, not Mark from the Markiplier channel.

leepalmer93

Reaction score
A good way to rule out any if needed is to type it into Google. If any YTers show up, then you know it's already taken.

Another thought to have is whether you will be (taking a guess here...) 'Lee from [insert channel name]' or will the channel name also be your persona. Such as Mark Fischbach being Markiplier, not Mark from the Markiplier channel.

Well if I went with Ginger tube idea I will always be introducing myself with my name I would think, haven't took much thought into that part.