Creating a backup channel with same content?

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So for whatever reason I cannot see, my main channel is dead for now. It'***** a few people, and no one knows why.

While I wait to see if my channel comes back, some of the people affected have been talking about their backup channels with the same content. I've seen a few people do this too.

Has anyone else done this? Do you upload all the same content from your main channel? Does it not mean you're essentially in competition with yourself? Does that matter?

Thanks

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
I've never heard of someone creating a backup channel for the same content... interesting...
Personally i don't think creating a backup channel with the same content is a good idea but that's just me. It might cause confusion :unsure:

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a backup channel that served me well for some time (for really specific reason), but now I see it is partially as a mistake. One of the backup channel videos became viral and the channel is nearing 4K subscribers now, so I am getting new subscribers daily, but I didn't post for 3 months and it's still competing with my main channel, taking away subscribers and views. I plan to eventually post lower quality videos and experiments on the backup channel, but still it will compete with my main channel and instead of having all the subscribers at one place, receiving notifications from their favourite creator, they are split and same video might have different views depending on which channel I post it.

LIVEst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
it's still competing with my main channel.
My first thought was exactly about such situation. What if your second channel ranks higher that the main? Don't see reason for duplicated content.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If I was to make a backup channel I'd have all of the videos set to private, and then make them public when needed. I just back them up to a NAS but I can see why people may want a backup channel (to save their descriptions and stuff).