Create Transparent Call To Action Overlays!

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Welcome back! Continuing with my youtube creators tutorial series, I am going to show you how to make a transparent call to action overlay for your videos!

This allows your audience to see a professional-looking call to action reminder. A call to action is a reminder to do something (like, subscribe, follow on twitter, etc.) You will only need basic understanding of photoshop to complete this tutorial. Animation experience is not needed.

Here is the video tutorial if that is your thing. If not, the written stuff is below. :)

This tutorial will be utilizing the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. Using transparent .flv files, we will help you easily and quickly create overlays for your videos.

Step 1: Download to project file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/28crim2tbgh852c/TransparentOverlayProject.zip
NOTE: Mediafire scans automatically for malware and viruses, but as a best practice you should always scan files with your antivirus software before downloading to keep your computer safe. See your antivirus provider's site for specific instructions.
Once the project has been downloaded, you will need to unzip the file. This should leave you with a folder containing all of the assets you need to do this project.

Step 2: Create your overlay image:
Open the animationlogo.psd file into photoshop. This is the file you will be using to create the overlay. You are welcome to change just the text if you do not have photoshop experience. For best effect, make sure that the overlay you create matches the rest of your branding (youtube banner, thumbnail style, intro style, etc). Redesign it to your liking, this is the creative part of the tutorial. You can see the one I created for myself at the top of this tutorial. Save the file.

Step 3: Creating the animation:
Open the transparentanimation.aep file. This is the file I have created that already contains the effects, sounds, and animation. In the "Project" section of After Effects, right click where it says "AnimationLogoNew.psd". Select "Replace Footage," then "File". Navigate on your computer to where you saved your new overlay image, and select it.
NOTE: If you just saved over the .psd that I provided, this may be in your "Download" folder.
This changes the animation I created to use your new logo! If you are happy with it, you are done. If you are experienced with After Effects, feel free to edit the project to your liking.

Step 4: Rendering the project:
Now that we have your animation created, we need to render it into an appropriate file. THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT! Many people are not aware of the ability or process for how to create animations with transparent backgrounds, but it isn't hard. Select "Composition" at the top of After Effects, then "Add to Render Queue" In the render queue click next to "Output Module." This is where we will set up our render settings. Change format to .flv. Change channels to "RGB + Alpha". Turn audio output on. Click render.
Wait for the project to render out. Depending on your computer's speed this may take 10 seconds or 10 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to have multiple overlays (one for "like" on for "sub" etc), just repeat steps 2-4 to create different images and different animations.

Step 5: Adding it to your videos:
From here it is simple. Drag or import the .flv file you just created into your Premiere Pro project. Make sure that the .flv does not overwrite the video to want to put it on. This means putting it in layer 2, 3, or maybe 4. You may need to adjust the audio volume to match your video's. Render your video as you usually would.

Step 6: Enjoy the benefits!
Now that it is created, it only takes 10 seconds to add overlays to your new videos. These call to action overlays can be very helpful by getting your video more likes, or sending more people to your social media. Do not overuse them. 1-2 overlays per video is best practice. No need to credit this project in your description or anything.

Be sure to let me know if you have any problems or questions about this process! Hope you found it helpful. If you did, check out my other YTT tutorials, many people have found them helpful.

Attachments

Last edited:

kreekcraft

Reaction score
HUGE thanks man! Your tutorials are always very easy and simple to follow. :)

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I recently started doing this with the like button and subscribe button. I don't know how much it helps but I figured I'd try it, kind of wish you posted this earlier though, cause my call to action overlays are just plain text with a picture of the actual like button and subscribe button xD I wouldn't have used it, but the template would have come in handy to boost ideas. I also did all mine in Premiere Pro directly but a .png would be much better by the looks of it.

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A png is great if you only want to animate it in your video editing program, since it allows a transparent background. :) nice to see you had a similar idea.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
A png is great if you only want to animate it in your video editing program, since it allows a transparent background. :) nice to see you had a similar idea.
Yeah, I might follow your instructions on making the animation in AE though, that way I can save it as a template and use it in all my other videos without having to create a new 1 everytime. Just got to figure out the transparency thing, I always seem to have trouble saving transparent videos in AE, which is why I was just going to use the PNG but then I'll have to animate it each time anyways.

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you watch the video I show the exact settings to export transparent animation. (Flv, RGB+ alpha)

kreekcraft

Reaction score
Thought I would post this here for anyone using Sony Vegas. Sony Vegas (for me at least) won't allow/has issues with .flv files and transparency in videos. To get it working in Vegas, render the file with the same settings, but instead of .flv, use .avi. Then when imported into Vegas, right-click the file and go into the properties. Finally go to the media tab and down to the "Alpha Channel". Select "Premultiplied" for transparency to show.