Cover Songs

Reaction score
So these seem to be the alternativs when it comes to cover songs:
  1. Hope that the video gets matched by Content ID and that you get the alternative to legally monetize the cover.
  2. Join Maker or Fullscreen (MCN-networks).
  3. Get a sync lisence.
  4. Ask for permission.
Here's the problem with each and every one:
  1. It's impossible to know what songs this works for. If someone knows just one example of a song, I would like to know.
  2. You need a big channel to get accepted. But building up the channel means you have to upload covers without the MCN-network, which is illegal. Paradox!?
  3. Sync license is incredibly expensive and it takes a lot of work to get one for every cover.
  4. It's hard to get an answer.
So, how should I go about it?

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
Actually Maker and Fullscreen have a lot of subnetworks that allow for smaller channels to join. (For example I'm in CreatorX, which is part of Fullscreen)
Try making parody songs and writing your own backing track to the same songs and start with that.

Peter

Obsessed Guitarist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
1. I can't help you with that since I don't have that option (probably because I'm with a network).
2. You don't need a big channel, I was accepted when I had 300 subscribers. But even if you get partnered with Fullscreen/Maker, they help you legally monetize certain cover songs, it sounded like you meant uploading.
3. Unfortunately that's true and I'm constantly on the lookout for a solution because it would be a shame to loose my channel down the road.
4. This is also true, possibly not the way to go for us (unless you have a large channel/connections maybe?).

Reaction score
Actually Maker and Fullscreen have a lot of subnetworks that allow for smaller channels to join. (For example I'm in CreatorX, which is part of Fullscreen)
Try making parody songs and writing your own backing track to the same songs and start with that.
Does those subnetworks makes it possible to cover certain songs legally as well?

I would write everything myself. But what do you mean when saying "start with that"? I can't do that and then just upload it without solving this issue first, right? (That sounded mean, wasn't my intention, sorry).[DOUBLEPOST=1411231020,1411230515][/DOUBLEPOST]
1. I can't help you with that since I don't have that option (probably because I'm with a network).
2. You don't need a big channel, I was accepted when I had 300 subscribers. But even if you get partnered with Fullscreen/Maker, they help you legally monetize certain cover songs, it sounded like you meant uploading.
3. Unfortunately that's true and I'm constantly on the lookout for a solution because it would be a shame to loose my channel down the road.
4. This is also true, possibly not the way to go for us (unless you have a large channel/connections maybe?).
You are doing exactly what I'd like to do. Your stuff is great by the way, really talented.

2. 300 subs means that you have to upload some covers to begin with, which you can't do legally without the network. 0 videos means 0 subscribers.

I though that if Fullscreen/Maker makes it legal for you to monetize, they also makes it legal for you to upload. Ideally I want to monetize.

I'm really interested in hearing your approach. Do you monetize? Which network do you work with? Are you limited to only cover songs that you're network can offer you to do legally (like Fullscreen only can monetize Universal Music Group songs)?

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
I didn't mean that you should write your own music. I mean you recreate the backing track, or find some sources from youtube that have made instrumentals. That was how Instalok first started with their parodies.

Reaction score
I didn't mean that you should write your own music. I mean you recreate the backing track, or find some sources from youtube that have made instrumentals. That was how Instalok first started with their parodies.
Sorry, I meant that as well. But that was basically the initial question. Because doing your own backing track and recording everything else on your own is basically what a cover is. How do I get permission to do that.

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
Sorry, I meant that as well. But that was basically the initial question. Because doing your own backing track and recording everything else on your own is basically what a cover is. How do I get permission to do that.
That's why I told you to start with parodies first.
You can try to sneak past them by just doing the covers and adding your own twists to the songs to make them more distinctive and less likely to be contentID'd but it's still a risk. I don't know, I don't do many covers.

Reaction score
That's why I told you to start with parodies first.
You can try to sneak past them by just doing the covers and adding your own twists to the songs to make them more distinctive and less likely to be contentID'd but it's still a risk. I don't know, I don't do many covers.
From what I understand, that is illegal. I have even heard some record companies stating that using a copyright song and changing the melody a bit is even worse. :(

Reaction score
Which is why I said to start with parodies. XD
I guess I'm unsure what differs a cover from a parody. :) I only play piano and I can add some MIDI instruments on my computer. How would I do a parody in my case? A parody for me is basically changing the lyrics, but I wouldn't have any lyrics. Instead I would play the singer's melody on the piano, but I could change the melody as well. To me that is some sort of cover. Is it possible to make it a parody?