Could use some feedback

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Hi there everybody!

Been making videos for a few months now and there is really no growth to see. That probably means that I am missing something or I'm doing something wrong. I feel like the channel side of things is good enough, so I am thinking it might be something that I am doing wrong within the content itself. Therefore I would like to have a video review of my latest video as of writing, which is Little nightmares #3. Things I am particularly interested in:

- Does the thumbnail have a negative or positive impact on you wanting to click the video and why?
- How do you feel about the information that is given in the video and why?
- Did you tune out at some point? Which point and why?

Thank you very much to those who are willing to help me out. I appreciate it very much.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
- Does the thumbnail have a negative or positive impact on you wanting to click the video and why?
First thing I notice is that the time stamp is covering part of the text. Try to avoid placing text in the bottom right corner, as it will often get partially covered, which makes it hard to read. I like the highlighting of the characters and the text gives me a clear idea what to expect. Overall a good thumbnail, just think a bit more about the positioning of the text (and maybe make the text a bit bigger).

- Did you tune out at some point? Which point and why?
Wauw, that intro screen is too long. 5 seconds is way too much for a stationary image, try to reduce it to 2 or 3 seconds. Plus, I personally don't like the 'like and subscribe!' thing if I haven't even seen the video yet. This is actually already a point I would click away.

The video starts and I was expecting some kind of talking. Either an introduction or an update of what happened before (as this is part 3). However, it is so silent I actually turned my volume higher to see if maybe the talking was just quiet, but there was nothing. 20 seconds in and I would already have clicked away, sorry. You need to grab my attention! The first 15 to 30 seconds are so, so important to hook your audience.

1.05, finally, you're talking! I actually clicked forward through the video until I heard some sound. I wasn't patient enough to look at you silently walk around.

3.20, again a lot of silent walking. Try to engage more with your audience! You have a pleasant voice to listen at, so use it more :)

Almost 5 min in and there is finally some anorexia information! I was really waiting on that, since that was the reason I would have clicked this video. You should start showing (or telling about, even better!) the information MUCH sooner. Hook your audience!

6.20 You are trying to figure out what to do, which again leads to a minute or two of silently walking back and forth. Not very engaging to look at. This would be a point that I start skipping through the video or clicking away.

10 minutes in, the second fact appears. I'll be really honest, I would not have watched your video this far. I was expecting more information, more interaction. I didn't click for the game play, I clicked for the promise of information. Plus, since I don't know the game, I thought the information on anorexia would be related to the game you're playing.

I won't be watching the video any further, as I think I already seen enough to provide so critical feedback.

- How do you feel about the information that is given in the video and why?
It's sparse. One fact every 5 minutes is really not enough if this is what you are advertising your video with. Plus, the facts have been pretty basic so far.

Conclusion
There are some basic things missing in your video.

Attention hook: You need to learn to hook your audience in the first 10 seconds. Lose or really, really shorten your intro screen. WELCOME your audience! Tell them what you're playing, what happened before, thank people for tuning in again, etc. Interact, grab, hook!

Lack of deliverence on brand promise: I've seen you round on the forums and I know you are trying to make talking about mental and physical disorders your niche in the gaming branche. However, so far you have not really delivered on your brand promise. Yes, you say there is information on anorexia in your video, but one (quite basic) fact every five minutes is not nearly enough! Do some more research and maybe even voice over some information, since you have so many silent gaps in your video. I also feel that the game and the information are very disjointed. Why display this information in this particular game? Because at this point I have no idea and that makes it feel very random.

Lack of interaction: You are way too silent way too often. Every bit of silence is a chance to click away. Watch a video of any established gamer and you will notice that they are always talking. They are commenting on the gameplay, the physics engine, the looks and feel of the environment. Try to train yourself in talking to your audience. Explain what you are doing and why, how the game makes you feel, etc. Try talking to your audience as if they are friends sitting in the room with you.

So, this turned out to be a whole lot of text, sorry. I hope this will be useful for you, as I see you have a lot of room to grow and develop yourself!

Reactions: zhkopec

Kelly Smith

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I visit your channel for feedback. I given your channel 100/80. Welcome organized channel homepage and banner logo that really attractive for viewers. Content quality good no question about it. Best of Luck.

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Awesome in depth feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to write all of this![DOUBLEPOST=1509557462,1509537927][/DOUBLEPOST]
I visit your channel for feedback. I given your channel 100/80. Welcome organized channel homepage and banner logo that really attractive for viewers. Content quality good no question about it. Best of Luck.
Thank you for the kind words. :)

VigilantRager

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay so your thumbnails are absolutely great. keep doing your work there and you're golden but one thing i have notice is your video length. I found that as a new youtuber you definitely will pull in more and longer view times if you have a shorter video like 8 to 16 minutes

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Okay so your thumbnails are absolutely great. keep doing your work there and you're golden but one thing i have notice is your video length. I found that as a new youtuber you definitely will pull in more and longer view times if you have a shorter video like 8 to 16 minutes
Thanks for the feedback. Will keep it in mind.

Reactions: Kelly Smith
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm gonna definitely agree in shortening the video length, and I think this'll help you on two accounts.

A) People just aren't gonna watch someone they don't know for half an hour. Keep it shorter, and keep it consistent. Pick a video length you're comfortable with, and make every single one of your videos that long from now on. Maybe 12ish or so, still long enough that you can get enough meaningful content from the game in, but short enough that it isn't gonna turn people off from watching and will make people who do decide to watch more likely to watch the whole thing.

B) It'll make it a lot easier for you to pack the entire video full of dialogue. As Dutchie in England pointed out, you have long stretches where you say nothing. And I generally noticed these were during down sections in gameplay. If nothing exciting is happening in the game, and you're not saying anything, people are gonna tune out.

Take a video to practice talking throughout the entire recording. If nothing exciting is happening, you can talk about anything. Make a joke, tell a story, make reference to something that happened earlier in the video/in a different video/etc. This'll be hard at first, but you'll get more natural at it over time

You have an easy to listen to voice and clearly have a grasp on the basic things you need to do. All you need to do is make a few minor adjustments and I think you're videos should improve a ton.

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
I'm gonna definitely agree in shortening the video length, and I think this'll help you on two accounts.

A) People just aren't gonna watch someone they don't know for half an hour. Keep it shorter, and keep it consistent. Pick a video length you're comfortable with, and make every single one of your videos that long from now on. Maybe 12ish or so, still long enough that you can get enough meaningful content from the game in, but short enough that it isn't gonna turn people off from watching and will make people who do decide to watch more likely to watch the whole thing.

B) It'll make it a lot easier for you to pack the entire video full of dialogue. As Dutchie in England pointed out, you have long stretches where you say nothing. And I generally noticed these were during down sections in gameplay. If nothing exciting is happening in the game, and you're not saying anything, people are gonna tune out.

Take a video to practice talking throughout the entire recording. If nothing exciting is happening, you can talk about anything. Make a joke, tell a story, make reference to something that happened earlier in the video/in a different video/etc. This'll be hard at first, but you'll get more natural at it over time

You have an easy to listen to voice and clearly have a grasp on the basic things you need to do. All you need to do is make a few minor adjustments and I think you're videos should improve a ton.
Thank you very much for your response! Good to know that people feel the same about certain feedback. Makes it way easier for me to determine what to do :)