Could I monetize my sports channel?

Ladless

Reaction score
Basicly, doing youtube as a side project, but so far I have over 3k views in the last 2 days on youtube (I made the channel 3 days ago).

So far I have 12 videos and they're were all easy to make, just upload a goal from a football match (e.g. Everton vs Watford Lucas Digne goal (that got me 1k views overnight).

Now some of the videos did get blocked because of copyright, but I didn't get a copyright strike. I think this is a pretty simple thing to monetize, I just have to be swift and careful about it. Now im just wondering, when I hit the minimum 1000 subscriber mark (already passed the 4k view time) what are my chances of getting aproved for monetization.

I see other sports channel that put highlights on their channel and they have ads on them, but some of them do get blocked worldwide because of copyright, but only AFTER he gets like 50-100k views on them.

This is one of the channels that Im looking at:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
No you can't; unless you have obtained all of the following:

1. Licensing and worldwide rebroadcast rights from league, teams and broadcast networks holding rights to original broadcast media

2. Publicity rights for every recognizable person in the segments you use

3 and most important of all: Commercial Use Rights for this content.

Even then as you didn't film these goals yourself and obtain the proper rights to broadcast them, your monetization review would fail under the new Content Guidelines which say all content uploaded to YouTube must be unique to the creator, original and add value.

Also a channel with videos under either active Content ID claims, especially blocked worldwide, or with active copyright strikes, will not be monetized by YouTube.

By the way, you most likely have only 4K viewing minutes; the requirement is 4000 watch time hours in the past 365 days. There is no way a channel which is only 3 days old could have reached that.

Reactions: videoeditgr

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Zero chance!.. Also this is one of the most common things said on here: "I see other sports channel that......... " This is completely irrelevant. Most channels braking the rules get bitten on the a** eventually. There is Zero value in recycling content you did not make. Youtube seem keen on removing duplicate content and that nowadays. Use you enthusiasm for your sport and your new editing skills/experience to think of theme for a channel where you are truly the content creator and originator of the work. People will help you with ideas for that but not what your asking.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@UhoohExtra

Also what the OP is looking at as income from channels isn't income at all. It's estimated income from Socialblade, if I make no mistake.

@Ladless

Socialblade shows "estimated income" for channels which aren't even monetized. It's therefore totally unreliable as a "yardstick" for how much money you might be able to make with a monetized YouTube channel.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
*sigh*

Absolutely zero chance.

Stop looking at what you see other channels doing. By definition, you are only seeing the channels who haven't been caught (yet). What you don't see is the thousands of channels that have been terminated and lost their adsense in the process (forever btw)

Look at it logically from a business point of view from the perspective of the TV companies:

You're attempting to make money off the backs of TV company's footage which have paid billions of pounds for the right to broadcast it. Not to mention the huge additional cost in salaries and equipment to produce the content. You can be sure that those companies are protecting their billion pound investment and not allowing third parties like yourself to broadcast the same content for free and trying to earn from it.

Here is some advice - If you're trying to use Youtube as a platform to distribute copyrighted content to make a bit of "easy" money, forget it.

Ladless

Reaction score
*sigh*

Absolutely zero chance.

Stop looking at what you see other channels doing. By definition, you are only seeing the channels who haven't been caught (yet). What you don't see is the thousands of channels that have been terminated and lost their adsense in the process (forever btw)

Look at it logically from a business point of view from the perspective of the TV companies:

You're attempting to make money off the backs of TV company's footage which have paid . Not to mention the huge additional cost in salaries and equipment to produce the content. You can be sure that those companies are protecting their billion pound investment and not allowing third parties like yourself to broadcast the same content for free and trying to earn from it.

Here is some advice - If you're trying to use Youtube as a platform to distribute copyrighted content to make a bit of "easy" money, forget it.
I do see where you're coming from, but I was just wondering if you could explain how come some channels (big ones) can do that and not have any real consequences?

Im talking about videos like this one: /watch?v=sbHg_yG4Uvs

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
By definition, you are only seeing the channels who haven't been caught (yet). What you don't see is the thousands of channels that have been terminated and lost their adsense in the process (forever btw)
Read what Crown wrote please. I've placed it in bold font for your convenience. Also what other channels may or may not get away with has absolutely no bearing or effect on your own channel's situation.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
but I was just wondering if you could explain how come some channels (big ones) can do that and not have any real consequences?
I have already addressed that. Read my reply again and see the bolded part quoted by @UKHypnotist