Correlation between IQ and YT Success

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Please, this isn't meant to be a knock on anyone, but just as a free discussion how much do you think IQ and YT success are correlated ? I realize there's the occasional spirited enthusiast who releases a video and it happens to become very popular, but generally, do you feel YT is the smart man's game, or on the contrary not so much but rather unpredictable and therefor the success/IQ correlation isn't really relevant ?

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would vote IQ for irrelevant as long as personality and push promotion enter the equation.

:)

Reactions: Dave2017

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I work for myself from home and I have this printed out and displayed next to my screen:

"It’s not the smartest people who achieve success. - It’s the people who procrastinate less, make fewer excuses as they take actions every day towards the goals they want to achieve."

The quote comes from a motivational / self-improvement speech that I listen to on a regular basis. That quote in particular really hit home to me when I heard it and that's why I printed it out. - I consider myself above average intelligence (grammar school educated, 2:1 hons degree, bilingual blah blah blah) I'm not saying that to boast. On the contrary in fact because after years in the real world of work and in particular working for myself, I guarantee that all that "intelligence" is worthless without self-discipline and hard work.

Let's be real. YouTube isn't complicated. We're not exactly splitting the atom here. There is nothing you really have to get your head around and try to understand. It's 90% work ethic, drive and discipline and consistency. How bad do you want it?

It's not enough to make "good" videos. You have to make "better" videos than the rest. I've been a member / mod / admin here for 5 years and have seen thousands of people come and go. Look back at the introductions forum from 2 years ago. How many of them are still making videos? Not many and I doubt the reason is lack of intelligence or them not understanding what needs to be done. They do what it takes for a few days or weeks when they have bursts of motivation during the holidays but then give up way too easily when the going gets tough or they get distracted by more fun things (procrastination). Hence that printed quote above. :)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Let's be real.
I loved your post Crown

but

I can think of at least two channels in my niche that from mediocre and constant references to other people's work and struggling to the bottom they got a push from a specific source and now they are bigshots. Big for what? Pushing products? Google's main product is advertising. I think that Google buying Youtube stated one thing only. Data / preferences collection and ad selling. Sorry for being the cynical around here.

:)

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I work for myself from home and I have this printed out and displayed next to my screen:

"It’s not the smartest people who achieve success. - It’s the people who procrastinate less, make fewer excuses as they take actions every day towards the goals they want to achieve."

The quote comes from a motivational / self-improvement speech that I listen to on a regular basis. That quote in particular really hit home to me when I heard it and that's why I printed it out. - I consider myself above average intelligence (grammar school educated, 2:1 hons degree, bilingual blah blah blah) I'm not saying that to boast. On the contrary in fact because after years in the real world of work and in particular working for myself, I guarantee that all that "intelligence" is worthless without self-discipline and hard work.

Let's be real. YouTube isn't complicated. We're not exactly splitting the atom here. There is nothing you really have to get your head around and try to understand. It's 90% work ethic, drive and discipline and consistency. How bad do you want it?

It's not enough to make "good" videos. You have to make "better" videos than the rest. I've been a member / mod / admin here for 5 years and have seen thousands of people come and go. Look back at the introductions forum from 2 years ago. How many of them are still making videos? Not many and I doubt the reason is lack of intelligence or them not understanding what needs to be done. They do what it takes for a few days or weeks when they have bursts of motivation during the holidays but then give up way too easily when the going gets tough or they get distracted by more fun things (procrastination). Hence that printed quote above. :)
I understand the essence of your post, and I appreciate it and it definitely makes sense to me now (as opposed to some years ago when I would've undoubtedly favored flair/creativity over hard work), but at the same time I do think you have to also work smart, not hard. Like you can bust your nuts every day for 5 months of just spamming your content and having the workrate of a slave, but there's still how intelligently you're going to steer that effort and make it count. So there is still that looming importance of IQ.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Your question is so funny! Perhaps YT should make you do IQ test before your allowed to upload. That would surely get rid of a lot of bloatware content.

@Crown talks sense!

I did write an answer to this question but had to delete in on the grounds that I'm an *ss*ole

Reactions: Dave2017

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Your question is so funny! Perhaps YT should make you do IQ test before your allowed to upload. That would surely get rid of a lot of bloatware content.

@Crown talks sense!

I did write an answer to this question but had to delete in on the grounds that I'm an *ss*ole
oh I don't know about that. If the supposed idiotic content is getting lots of views, in the real world, I'd say it's worth more than any groundbreaking super deep content. "Give the people what they want", it's not glorious but it is the truth. I didn't mean does the brilliant YouTuber succeed because his stuff is deeper, but rather because he better understands what works and what doesn't thanks to his high IQ, and therefor puts out the stuff that'll have a better chance of working and getting loads of views even if it's absolutely futile and despicable and cheap in and of itself.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Let's be honest, no one ever went broke catering to the lowest common denominator. It isn't the people who are stupid becoming successful, it's the smart people catering to the people who are stupid. Because if you look at what's trending on YouTube it is not content aimed at college graduates. Expecting people to be smart isn't the way to get ahead.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
This post reminded me of the YouTuber who cemented his head in a microwave and then had to call emergency services because....not surprisingly...he couldn't get it out again.

Possibly one of the dumbest people on the planet, but his channel has over 4 million subscribers and is close to getting a total of almost one billion views.

The reason for this is because although his IQ level is close to zero, he has all the attributes that @Crown mentions; self discipline, a good work ethic, and refusal to procrastinate. I took a look at his channel a moment ago (TGFBro) and he uploads very regularly, the editing of his videos is done well, and he keeps on trend.

Great post by the way Crown...who was the motivational speaker that you quoted?

Reactions: Crown

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I’m don’t know. In school, they told us you’re not supposed to know your own IQ!

I think IQ itself is a flawed test but smart and disciplined people can succeed in anything. I don’t think you need to be a genius and honestly if you’re that sharp a film maker, just go to Hollywood!