Copyrighted video and music

Reaction score
Im still confused about this...
First off, I watch some of the popular YouTube videos by Screen Rant, What Culture and Looper, and they have clips of movies right in their videos. Do they have their videos not monetized or is it ok because they're such short length clips?

Secondly, I just uploaded a video of my kids dancing and set it to private. I only put it on YT to save it forever and don't plan on ever making it public. Before it even got finished processing, the video was muted because of the copyrighted music in it. I thought that if it wasn't monetized, the copyrighted music was ok?

Help me understand please...

Therealkojr

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
ALRIGHTY so youtubes copyright system is automatic. This is why it flagged your privates video. It finds sounds in videos that are copyrighted and flags them for monetization. It does not matter if the video was already monetized or if it wasn't. The video with copyrighted material will be monetized and any ad revenue made from that video will go to the person who claimed the copyright.

Bigger channels normally join mcns with deals with companies that whiteflag their channels to use copy righted content. This allows them to use clips and sounds while still making money off the video. I do not know exactly how it works but i do know it takes them away from being checked for that content.

...i think.... i hope this helps

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Im still confused about this...
First off, I watch some of the popular YouTube videos by Screen Rant, What Culture and Looper, and they have clips of movies right in their videos. Do they have their videos not monetized or is it ok because they're such short length clips?

Secondly, I just uploaded a video of my kids dancing and set it to private. I only put it on YT to save it forever and don't plan on ever making it public. Before it even got finished processing, the video was muted because of the copyrighted music in it. I thought that if it wasn't monetized, the copyrighted music was ok?

Help me understand please...
With regards to those channels using movie clips. The videos ARE monetized because they fall under the guise of fair use. Fair use is not a right, but rather a legal defense for using content that you don't have the rights to. There are many reasons a person can defend their work as fair use, in he case of the channels mentioned in the OP, it because those videos are considered to be reviews.

Music is much harder to use fair use as a defense. Your kids dancing to music would not be considered fair use ergo the video was muted. You could make a fight the copyright claim though given the context of the video I doubt it would be fixed.

There is a lot of misinformed people who think that using only a small portion of a clip means it is okay to use. That is NOT true. It is still copyrighted material that you do not have the rights to. My channel using a bunch of content that doesn't belong to me but falls under the guise of fair use for news / satire.