Copyright strike on a remix track

Sam Chris

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a youtube channel where I promote remix tracks. And mostly I get a copyright notice from the orignal copyright owner saying that I can use their content, but all the revenue will go to them. Which I'm completely okay with. But today I recieved a copyright strike on one of my videos from another youtube channel that promotes remix tracks aswell.

Clearly they don't own the copyrights to the song, even if they have the consent of the dj remixer. They are still legaly not allowed to send a copyright strike, because youtube doesn't give copyright permission to remixes or mashups. But on the other hand I don't own the copyrights to the songs either. So I don't know If I send a counter notice would it be backfired? cause I don't own the copyrights aswell. But the orignal content owner is okay with me using it as long as they get the revenue from it.

So should I send a counter notice or not?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Sending a counter-notice for content you don't hold the copyright to is likely to get your channel terminated for filing a fraudulent legal form. Instead I'd try writing to YouTube's Copyright and Legal Department, telling them that the takedown might be a fraudulent filing and they should ask for the filer's evidence of copyright.

Reactions: Sam Chris

Sam Chris

Reaction score
Sending a counter-notice for content you don't hold the copyright to is likely to get your channel terminated for filing a fraudulent legal form. Instead I'd try writing to YouTube's Copyright and Legal Department, telling them that the takedown might be a fraudulent filing and they should ask for the filer's evidence of copyright.
Thank you, do u mind telling me how can I find them? Couldn't find anything on google.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

Sam Chris

Reaction score
Hey man,

I sent them an email on 25th of May. I still haven't heard back from them. I don't mind waiting, as long as I know they are looking into it. But for all I know they might have not even read it. I did got the automatic reply that they have recieved my request, but that's about it. Does it usually take long?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Hey man,

I sent them an email on 25th of May. I still haven't heard back from them. I don't mind waiting, as long as I know they are looking into it. But for all I know they might have not even read it. I did got the automatic reply that they have recieved my request, but that's about it. Does it usually take long?

Thanks in advance.

As you didn't do the standard counter-notification unfortunately I have only a speculative answer to your question. I would first wait to see if your video is restored; this could take up to 14 days, as YouTube's Copyright and Legal Dept will first ask for the striker's proof of copyright ownership and if they receive it, there will be a further wait for the time it takes to verify same. Then check the other channel to see if it still exists. If it does, and your video has not been restored, I would consider that they were indeed able to satisfy YouTube that they did have either licensing or copyright of the material in question.

Sam Chris

Reaction score
As you didn't do the standard counter-notification unfortunately I have only a speculative answer to your question. I would first wait to see if your video is restored; this could take up to 14 days, as YouTube's Copyright and Legal Dept will first ask for the striker's proof of copyright ownership and if they receive it, there will be a further wait for the time it takes to verify same. Then check the other channel to see if it still exists. If it does, and your video has not been restored, I would consider that they were indeed able to satisfy YouTube that they did have either licensing or copyright of the material in question.
Thank you for the in depth response. I just got an email from them saying that your video is not eligible for counter notification.

Because the person who sent me a strike didn't use the same email address as his youtube channel. He used a different email address. But I know for a fact that it's him. How can I prove to them that's him.

I did email them back saying that, he is the admin of that channel, and he holds no copyright to this track.